Lagering ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I have a small chest freezer I use for conditioning. My usual process is to primary for 3 weeks, keg, then stick it in the freezer (55-58f) until needed. I want to try a lager this fall, but I need a place to lager it. Would it work to keep the freezer at lagering temps while the ale was in there (35F)? Would it slow down the aging on the ales?

That's about where mine is, but I age in the basement. If I get ahead of myself, and bring a keg up too soon, it does seem to slow the process down a bit, and I'll end up drinking all the beer before it is to full potential. Could be a nice change though...you may end up lagering all of your ale....if you have time.

(That wasn't too whore-ish was it?)

My keezer only holds 8 kegs. I have another 8 full kegs waiting to go into the keezer. When I get an empty in the kegerator I take one out of the keezer and replace it with a warm one.

Many of my ales are months old before I drink them. My last one on tap, a Fuggles Ale, is (finally) tasting great at 7 months old.

You will be fine. Yes, you will slow the aging on the ales, but that's not so much a bad thing. Almost every beer out there does not take to age quite like wine does. It's jsut fine to slow things down a bit.

TL

I thought cold-conditioning was a good thing? I suppose if the yeast can't clean up it would slow the process.

Back