Dark Mild Little Ben. My original recipe of an English Mild Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranman481

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1968 London Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68 degrees
Tasting Notes
As the style suggests, mild flavor, low ABV. A very drinkable ale.
This is the recipe that got me my very first Blue Ribbon at a homebrew event in Marlborough, MA Spring 2013

8 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Special Roast
6 oz Med. Crystal
3.3 lb. Sparkling Amber LME
3.3 lb. Golden Light LME

1oz Challanger (bittering)
1oz Fuggle (aroma)

Wyeast 1968 London Ale

Steep grains in 1 1/2 - 2 gal. water at 160 degrees for 15 mins.
Add liquid malt extract, boil for 45 mins.
Add Challanger and boil for 10 mins.
Add Fuggle and boil for 5 mins.

Cool and transfer wort to primary and top off to 5 gallons total.
Pitch yeast.

Mild ale is a low-gravity beer with a predominantly malty palate that originated in Britain in the 17th century or earlier. Modern mild ales are mainly dark coloured with an abv of 3% to 3.6%, although there are lighter hued examples as well as stronger examples reaching 6% abv and higher.
The term mild originally meant young beer or ale as opposed to "stale" aged beer or ale with its resulting "tang". In more recent times it has been interpreted as denoting "mildly hopped".

I copied that previous passage from Wikipedia. I looked at several resources to determine that English Mild has a mild amount of hops and therefore I only added the bittering hops for 10 mins. I must have done something right to come home with a blue ribbon for it. You should give it a try.

Definitely trying it as I think I like the mild malt forward styles. Don't know if I can find the specific Sparkling Amber and Golden Light LME at the LHBS but prefer to try new recipe to a "T" first. Hopefully the Western MA water won't be too diff than over Marlborough way.

check out the website for Strange Brew located in Marlborough, MA. Although I go there in person, I believe you can purchase from them on line. As for the water, I live in Putnam, CT and have great fresh well water! Lucky me!!

Good luck with the brew. I hope you like it.

Back