2 Row + 6 Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you AGers add a percentage of high enzyme 6-row when using alot of adjuncts to help with the conversion? It seems like the science is good, anybody try this?

I've never used 6-row. Modern 2-row malts are almost as good as the traditional 6 -rows.

Some American commercial brewers do this to keep costs down, and to ensure the beer doesn't have any flavor that might offend somebody.
It seems to me that it doesn't usually make sense for a homebrewer as it complicates the crushing of the malt, the mashing procedure, and the sparge, and results in a thin tasting beer that costs more to produce. (This is assuming that you buy your malt in bulk and adjuncts in small packages._

-a.

ajf said:
Some American commercial brewers do this to keep costs down, and to ensure the beer doesn't have any flavor that might offend somebody.
It seems to me that it doesn't usually make sense for a homebrewer as it complicates the crushing of the malt, the mashing procedure, and the sparge, and results in a thin tasting beer that costs more to produce. (This is assuming that you buy your malt in bulk and adjuncts in small packages._

-a.

yup. 6 row has a higher yield therefor more cost effective for the major brewer. better for the home dude or craft brewer to go w/ 2 row.

i have used 6 row for my Cerveza recipe. never again!!!!

And most of us are not using a significant amount of adjuncts (rice, corn ..) , which would require a significantly larger amount of enzymes, anyway.

Kai

I use 6 row when brewing a Classic American/Canadian/North American Cream Ale (CACNACA) just to be 'authentic'. Otherwise there's no real advantage.

The folks at my LHBS say that the modern 2-row malts are so well modified that conversion doesn't even take an hour. I'm quite sure there are enough enzymes in the 2-row to modify any adjuncts that are included in the grist. (For the amount of adjuncts we would be using for home brew.)

ajf said:

-a.

Not only that, 6 row contains a lot more protien that can cause haze if not mashed right.

Back