Slapped Wyeast Bag TOO HARD!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis302

Reaction score
So I slapped the Wyeast bag much too aggressively when trying to break the nutrient packet inside. The packet was unsanitized at that point and a small hole was created in the corner. Some yeast escaped but my main questions are: What are the chances I will have infected yeast and/or ruined beer? Should I just rub some star-san on the outside and call it a day?

The yeast is covered by a ziploc for now while it warms up. please help!

I rarely sanitize my yeast pouches, liquid or dry. You're probably fine, like you said just star san it and pitch it. If you're really paranoid you could make a starter to be sure.
At the end of the day it's your brew at risk, so do what you're comfortable with.

Thanks guys. I'm making one gallon batches. This probably means I should use yeast more efficiently than I am right now but thats a separate issue.

You're better off moving the packet to a corner in the bag, putting your palm over the packet, and then put your weight on it until it pops. It's much easier and saves you from having your situation happen again. :mug:

I wouldn't use it if you can get another quickly, a couple bucks vs. wasted time brewing isn't worth even a remote chance of ruined beer. If you can't get a replacement, just pitch it.

From what I understand, it's not even necessary to smack it. I had this happen once and now I don't bother smacking, especially since it's going in a starter and the starter wort gets a bit of yeast nutrient added anyway. I think the inside pouch only contains sterilized wort.

This was my wake up call to potential brew day yeast disaters when the LHBS is closed...keep a packet of dry yeast in the fridge now as a back up.

I wouldn't use it if you can get another quickly, a couple bucks vs. wasted time brewing isn't worth even a remote chance of ruined beer. If you can't get a replacement, just pitch it.

From what I understand, it's not even necessary to smack it. I had this happen once and now I don't bother smacking, especially since it's going in a starter and the starter wort gets a bit of yeast nutrient added anyway. I think the inside pouch only contains sterilized wort.

This was my wake up call to potential brew day yeast disaters when the LHBS is closed...keep a packet of dry yeast in the fridge now as a back up.

When I use wyeast, the only reason I smack it is if I'm not making a starter, when it inflates after smacking it you can then tell if it's viable or not. If you're making a starter, there really isn't a need to smack it.

I do usually spray the wyeast pack prior to pitching it as I'm rather anal in wanting to sanitize everything.

Doesn't really feel good when you slap it too hard anyway...

I had one explode too, right out the top, all over the wall. It didn't help I was 1/2 in the bag with friends over trying to pitch the yeast into a 6 gal batch.

I basically created a starter and went from there. It was the next logical step.

Had it happen to me once. I sprayed with star san and pitched it as normal. No infection, just tasty beer!

Back