Keg Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subzero829

Reaction score
New brewer jumping straight from bottling to kegging. I have read that you can condition a keg just like you do in bottles instead of force carbonating. How effective is this does it create enough carbonation that I could hook up a picnic tap and just pour straight from the keg?

It works fine for carbonation (it's just a huge bottle) but you still need externally supplied CO2 to serve. Otherwise the beer loses carbonation to the ever increasing keg head space, and in fairly short order the beer would flatten...

Cheers!

Yes, I go straight from the carboy after primary fermentation straight into a keg, pressure it up and let it condition for a few more weeks. Works like a charm.

You would be able to serve about 1/4 of the keg (quite foamy though) with no external CO2. That said, one of the awesome things (and there are many) about kegging is eliminating the yeast sediment. Priming in a keg produces quite a bit of it, which is going to get sucked up through the dip tube and into most of those first pours.

Yes, I go straight from the carboy after primary fermentation straight into a keg, pressure it up and let it condition for a few more weeks. Works like a charm.

That's force carbing, but I'm thinking the OP's actually asking if he can put priming sugar in a keg with his young beer and "naturally" carb it. Not the same thing...

Cheers!

Back