American Strawberry/Raspberry Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
I had a big success with my American strawberry sour experiment. I designed this recipe for a lawnmower beer competition coming up. I wanted a SUPER drinkable sour and my only brewing experience with berlinerwiesse was disappointing. I also wanted something a little higher in ABV for personal preference.
I figured the vast majority of the beers entered in this lawnmower beer competition coming up would be lighter pale ales, hefes, pilsners, ect and I wanted something that would really stand out. I had a bad experience when I tried to brew a Berlinerwiese, my euro yeast was dead, the lacto needs to munch on quite a bit to get as sour as I wanted it to be and the style just didn't have the sugars to support that kind of thing. So I decided to simply make a beer I would enjoy without following any style guidelines. Keep in mind this beer is for a lawnmower competition, thus the rice.

Competition American Strawberry/Raspberry Sour
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US05
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: DIY lacto with 1L starter(see below for more info), Brett C vial 5 days after Lacto pitch.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.003
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 6.5months @ 75
Tasting Notes: Epic sour, complex and supremely drinkable. Perhaps slightly too sour. I think I would cut the acid malt to about 1oz. I would also swap some of wheat for some vienna to improve clarity and alter the flavor a bit.

75% efficiency

Grain
6lbs bohemian pilsner
2lbs instant rice
8oz Red wheat
5.8oz Acid malt
1lb Torrified wheat

Hops
.5oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (2.5%AA) for 60min

Mash at 148*f for 60min

Add 5lbs of strawberries to primary.
Add 2lbs of Raspberries to secondary.

I cultured my own lacto by throwing a handful of 2row into a mason jar full of wort for about 1 month at 80*f. I started fermentation with the 05 and just let it roll for a few days, once I felt the gravity was where I wanted it (5 days) I transferred it onto the raspberries and added the lacto starter about a week after that I pitched brett C for funsies. I left it for 6.5 months at 75*f.

I wish I had a decent camera but here's what I got.
Cheers :tank:

sour.jpg
sour1.jpg
sour2.jpg

6oz of acid malt would have made very little difference in the acidity (which means that your wild lacto was rockin'). How well did the strawberry come through?

Yea must've been the lacto, the pellicle on it is THICK and grows quickly. I forgot I also pitched a small amount of brett C about a week after the lacto as well.
The strawberry was very mild, barely there. That's kinda why I ended up adding the raspberries. I may try a berlinerwiesse again with this cake instead of a white labs culture.

I saved the whole cake with about 3/4 of a gallon left in the carboy. I pitched some Mild (1.013fg) onto it yesterday. I'm hoping for a old bruin-esque beer. Either way I plan to hold onto my lacto strain for a while. It's pretty clean and has a really nice complex sour flavor.

Yea, this is a rough conversion but it would look something like this:

4.5oz DME Wheat Bavarian
10.9oz Liquid Wheat Extract
1lb 5.7oz Liquid Rice extract
5lbs 7.7oz Pale Liquid extract

Steep:
4ishoz Acid malt

I think extract would be fine for this recipe because it doesn't really matter a ton what temp you mash at, the bugs are gonna dry the beer up no matter what.

I definitely reccomend playing with the malt bill if you want something heavier. This beer is whispy and super drinkable but is so complex I wish it was a full fledged sour, but for the sake of the competition its amazing. One of the most unique quaffers I've ever drank. I've been cutting it with some cider to balance the acidity.Its a beer that drinks like a really tasty fruit soda, I've been serving it to females who say they don't drink beer :tank:

Back