Gravity check sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maegnar

Reaction score
Hello, fellow brewers.

I'm just curious what do you do with your gravity check samples?
Do you pour it back in the fermenter? Or drink it? or just dump it?

Asking before doing the first check :D

I drink all of mine in the name of science. I think it's important to keep track of the taste as it ferments. For example if I'm getting some off flavors it's usually due to too warm of fermentation So I start up the old swamp cooler

For an OG: I don't take one too often, I measure my mash efficiency pre-boil and can calculate my OG. When I do take one, I use a sanitized hydrometer and jar and return the sample to the fermenter. I've tasted them before and don't like them.

For an FG (or intermediate reading): I drink the sample. I think it tells you a lot more about how the beer is doing than just the gravity measurement.

I use a refractometer for the OG, so it's a tiny sample. I actually collect the sample in a sanitized dram vial and test it the next day (or sometime later since I put it into the fridge) for the OG [most of the time]. For the FG (I usually don't take readings until the batch has finished), I drink it. I've been using the hydrometer (my original one) for the FG, but am considering using the refractometer for the next batch for both readings.

Back