Oxygenation system on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertard

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my homemade O2 system. Just a tank and a O2 regulator from a welding kit, basic hardware store parts. It probably cost about $15. Quite a savings compared to those commercially availabe. I stuffed the bottle full of wet paper towels since my LHBS did not carry HEPA or any inline filters. The tubes and airstone are from a pet store - $2. When I tured it on the fermentor looked like there was a whirlpool jet going off in the bottom. Two hours later, airlock was bubbling like crazy.
bz.jpg

You know the pet stores sell inline air filters for around $2, that's what I use and I have never had any problems. I have wondered, is a filter required when one uses pure O2, shouldn't it be fairly sanitary?

I looked at the petstore for an inline filter, but they didn't have any. I've heard that welding O2 is clean, but I dont really know and all my proof is anecdotal. I figured the water bottle couldnt hurt, but mostly it was for mental reassurances so I wouldn't sit around for six weeks neurotically worrying about my brew.

beertard said:
I looked at the petstore for an inline filter, but they didn't have any. I've heard that welding O2 is clean, but I dont really know and all my proof is anecdotal. I figured the water bottle couldnt hurt, but mostly it was for mental reassurances so I wouldn't sit around for six weeks neurotically worrying about my brew.

In my experience, welder's O2 is no problem. If you still have problems with the thought, them you might want to use one of these: Click http://morebeer.com/view_product/16797/:)

Might still be worthwhile to invest in a proper airstone for it. The ones they sell in oxygenation kits produce bubbles on the order of 0.5 microns which is way, way finer than what you will get with an aquarium airstone like that - the finer the bubbles, the better they dissolve into solution. Given the price of the oxygen tanks, an increase in efficiency of getting oxygen into solution could pay for itself very quickly.

Also, since they're made of stainless steel they're easy to sanitize.

I, too, would suggest ditching the water bottle contraption. It probably does a marginal job of filtering at best, and it seems like a big waste of oxygen as it'll be full of oxygen after each use, which will be lost if you open it up again to change out your 'filter element'.

Where I've seen 'em, those welding kits are expensive because they come with more than just the regulator. Where can you get just the regulator with barb on it like in your photo?

Is that oxygen bottle the same size as one of those handy dandy propane bottles for soldering copper pipe? and where do you get them for $15.00!!!

You can get em at the hardware store (HD or L's). In the tools dept. Got mine for $8.95 a few years ago.

Back