First timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An autumn amber ale that I got for Christmas. An extract kit from Midwest.

An autumn amber ale that I got for Christmas. An extract kit from Midwest.

Sweet. Read all the stickys, and ferment COOL. Low 60's IN THE BEER is best. Mid 60's IN THE BEER is OK. Beer temps can be up to 10F warmer than the room. Have fun and good luck!

first off, welcome to the addiction! :mug:
second off, that kit makes a nice beer! :rocking:
Sweet. Read all the stickys, and ferment COOL. Low 60's IN THE BEER is best. Mid 60's IN THE BEER is OK. Beer temps can be up to 10F warmer than the room. Have fun and good luck!

third, ^this^ is really good advice! :mug:

Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to do that. Brewing went really well.

When should I expect some airlock activity? I just put the lid on my primary fermenter last night at about 5pm.

There are cases where it can take three days. Depends on the temperatures, the yeast itself, the wort, and so much more. That being said, usually within 24-48 hours. But don't even *think* of being concerned until after 72 hours. If you've done a starter, then 4 hours isn't uncommon.

I've pitched on batches around 7:30-9pm,& saw bubbling at 3am or so. Def by 6 or 7 am. But I like to re-hydrate dry yeast to decrease lag time.

Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to do that. Brewing went really well.

When should I expect some airlock activity? I just put the lid on my primary fermenter last night at about 5pm.

It really depends. They say it can take up to 72 hours, in some cases it does. I usually see activity in 6 hours or so. Last night I pitched a brew around 5 pm or so, krausen was forming around 9. Every batch is different, but I'd say healthy yeast, in a starter, pitched into aerated wort, overnight is the longest lag I've seen maybe a bit longer with dry.

Thanks everyone. She's bubbling like crazy today at noon. Had to move the fermenter to a cooler spot because our 55 degree January days here in SW MN are making the basement almost too warm! But I think the yeast are doing their job now!

Here's another question: Thinking about racking to secondary fermenter in a week or two. Any reason why I should or shouldn't? Recipe doesn't say I need to, but I've got the equipment.

Thanks everyone. She's bubbling like crazy today at noon. Had to move the fermenter to a cooler spot because our 55 degree January days here in SW MN are making the basement almost too warm! But I think the yeast are doing their job now!

Here's another question: Thinking about racking to secondary fermenter in a week or two. Any reason why I should or shouldn't? Recipe doesn't say I need to, but I've got the equipment.

awesome! :mug:

i only do a secondary when adding something post fermentation, like dry hops, spices, etc., or when i plan to bulk age a brew for several weeks or more. it's entirely a matter of preference whether or not to secondary with most ales. do some reading on some of the threads here about the subject, try doing primary/secondary vs. only primary in your own beers and make the call about which works best for you. i've found that with most of my beers, a primary of 3-4 weeks makes great beer. almost all the yeasts i use will floc out and produce a bright beer within 4 weeks of pitching. but like i said, if i'm adding anything to the brew that isn't going to ferment, i like to do it in secondary after a 2-3 week primary.

There are gobs of threads concerning this. Some do, some don't. There is no wrong or right :) Personally, I like to let it sit on primary for four weeks. If I'm adding an addition, then I'll rack to secondary. Otherwise I bottle it as long as my hydrometer concurs with my decision.

Thanks for the personal preference insights; and I will do a little poking around on the other threads on this topic.

Monkz - what's up with this crazy MN weather huh? What was the temp IN THE BEER in your 55 basement? I am brewing my first batch this weekend And trying to figure out where to store it.

daksin said:

Would you say this for all beers? Not lagers of course

JerryMN said:
Monkz - what's up with this crazy MN weather huh? What was the temp IN THE BEER in your 55 basement? I am brewing my first batch this weekend And trying to figure out where to store it.

I haven't looked at the temp in the beer yet. I will do that and get back to you. I have figured out a spot the doesn't seem to fluctuate much with the outside temps, so I have put it there. It's about 62 degrees all the time.

BTW, the weather changed from 65 degrees outside to 10 degrees and ice and snow...in one day. Crazy weather!

Back