timing for dry hopping in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
I'm considering dry hopping the keg for this next batch and I was wondering what the best timing was for that. Should I simply use the keg as a secondary for several days then CO2/refrigerate? Or simply dry hop it at the same time I'm about to CO2/refrigerate it?

erockomania said:
I'm considering dry hopping the keg for this next batch and I was wondering what the best timing was for that. Should I simply use the keg as a secondary for several days then CO2/refrigerate? Or simply dry hop it at the same time I'm about to CO2/refrigerate it?

There are a lot of threads in this forum on dry hopping in the keg. Search and you'll find a lot of information.

I dry hop in the primary using an extra fine nylon bag weighted with a stainless steel bolt. I'll let it go for 1-2 weeks, add hops for 7-10 days then rack to keg. You'll find a lot of opinions on time to dry hop when in the keg. Some say it takes longer for the flavors to seep in due to lower temp. Lots of people appear to leave the.hop bag in keg for 2-3 weeks then remove. That is assuming that the keg is at serving temperature.

I dry hop with pellets in the keg for 7-10 days @ room temp using a woman's knee high nylon. Then into the kegerator, hops & all. The cold temp keeps the hops in check. Never had an issue with off flavors or a clogged dip tube. YYMV Cheers!!!

I dry hop in secondary for 3 days the crash cool for three then if needed I'll add hops to a hop bag and just leave it! My beer don't last long!

HB on IPhone

I've dry hopped in my keg. Use a tea ball and tie fishing string to it then use a bobber so you can fish it out when you want. Of course sanatize. I usually leave it the entire time and have never had bad flavors as a result.

Back