Used liquor barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a few more left. Those of you who wanted to be on the waiting list, I've email you please get back to me one way or the other.
John

Has anyone heard from this vendor lately? I sent payment on the 14th and have PM'ed & emailed a few times just to check on the status and get confirmation, but received no replies.

so tempting. my only "concern" i guess is the potential use after the oak is gone. i understand the whole 3-4 batches before it becomes neutral, and then you can use it for wild beers... but anyone have any input on what a neutral barrel would be contributing to say a blonde ale? i know jolly pumpkin ages all their beers in barrels (including a blonde) but not sure what type of barrel (liqour or virgin). it would be cool to throw in a light beer for a few weeks to give it some twang.

Just got a call from the stiller and he said he will have 5 gallon barrels ready next week, I will take preorders if anyone is interested.
John

so tempting. my only "concern" i guess is the potential use after the oak is gone. i understand the whole 3-4 batches before it becomes neutral, and then you can use it for wild beers... but anyone have any input on what a neutral barrel would be contributing to say a blonde ale? i know jolly pumpkin ages all their beers in barrels (including a blonde) but not sure what type of barrel (liqour or virgin). it would be cool to throw in a light beer for a few weeks to give it some twang.

All of Jolly Pumpkins beers are fermented wild if I'm not mistaken. Their barrels would be considered "spent" but they are innocculated with wild bugs so they will contribute the funk to the Blonde. I've never had it so this is all an assumption based on what I know about Jolly.

I think you could use these barrels after 2 beers have been through them to get some twang in that Blonde.

Took a few of my barrels to a Cooper to have them filed and recharred. Left a half a liter of makers mark sit in the barrels for about a week and I was back in business. The toasted oak flavor was more pronounced but I'm sure it will be muted after the next batch. look locally for a Cooper perhaps on craigslist or at a historical society found mine making barrels at sauders historical village in bryan Ohio.

Took a few of my barrels to a Cooper to have them filed and recharred. Left a half a liter of makers mark sit in the barrels for about a week and I was back in business. The toasted oak flavor was more pronounced but I'm sure it will be muted after the next batch. look locally for a Cooper perhaps on craigslist or at a historical society found mine making barrels at sauders historical village in bryan Ohio.

What did this cost? This is a great idea.

I just sent paypal request for payment to those of you who provided me with an email address. If anyone elso would like a barrel please let me know. I will pick them up tomorrow and start shipping on Friday.
Cheers!

Back