Belgian candi solution sunk to bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a Belgian strong, and I added 12oz of belgian candi solution to my ferment which is on the tail end of vigorous fermentation. Should I swirl it to get into solution, or not really worry about it?

When that has happened to me I took a wine degasser and stirred the bottom of the carboy up. The one I have is a long stainless steel rod with "wings" as paddles that kick out due to the spinning. I did it on a belgian with dark candy syrup and on a stout with maple syrup.

I roused pretty well, but no change. Do I need something drastic like the wine degasser prevoiusly mentioned?

Time to make a new starter I think. Heating the fermentor up may help but I think you might want to get a new starter ready then rack off the old yeast. Your other option is to go with wyeast 3711 but it might take the beer too dry.

I used a oxygen wand and stirred it nicely. I then upped the temp to 75 and have been rousing every other day.
It is down to 1.028, so it is definitely working! Will wait for another couple of weeks to transfer and add a little amylase
To get down to 1.020 if it is still at 1.028.

Yeast are good at finding food...they don't care if they have to swim a little deeper to find it...in fact there's probably more yeasties down at the bottom than anywhere else...it will get eaten....Don't stress about it.

I am using a refractometer and using the northern brewer calculator you use after fermentation. I have a hydrometer, but I just
love grabbing a little beer for measurement and tasting. Am I in the wrong for doing it this way?

I am using a refractometer and using the northern brewer calculator you use after fermentation. I have a hydrometer, but I just
love grabbing a little beer for measurement and tasting. Am I in the wrong for doing it this way?
Just wanted to make sure you were calculating for the presence of alcohol if using a refractometer.

Back