Arrogant bastard attempt 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandcalvert

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
nottingham
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
red/black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Green: sweet and citrus, smooth, light on the tonge, full at racking: smooth hoppy f
This is my first recipe post.
I found an all grain version of this online and converted it to extract. I changed adjunct grains, + .5lb additional crystal malt 120L and .5 crystal malt 60L. This was mostly due to being just short on my LME to do the exact conversion.
I forgot the Irish moss but the beer looks great. it's aged for about two weeks now and has a very nice hop flavor. Great beer. Not really sweet just subtle hints of sweetness on the back of the citrus hop flavor.
I am very new to brewing so sorry if my taste description isn't great.
I am looking for any suggestions to adjust this and make it better the next time.
(I have the beersmith file for this but not sure how to add it.)

7.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 73.68 %

2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 21.05 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
(steep as needed 30-60min)
1.25 oz Chinook [13.50 %] (60 min) Hops 51.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.50 %] (30 min) Hops 31.3 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU

1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

you og seems low for arrogant bastard clone.
I dont think you are gonna get the above 7 % ABV that is in arrogant bastard

Check the Jamil show on the brewing network, they did a show on Arrogant Bastard. I remember there was Special B in there too....and yes, your gonna need more LME....1.050 is only going to get you to ~5%abv....AB is 7 and change % abv.

If I remember correctly it was 2Row and Special B that was all....or Light LME and Special B....Special B was like 10% of the total grist.

cool well I will up my ME next time, maybe add some DME to get the OG up. I will also add some special B and see how it turns out. Thanks for the info.
Should I be dry hopping this?
Other than the ABV content and the special b is there anything else I could add to get it close to the original?

cool well I will up my ME next time, maybe add some DME to get the OG up. I will also add some special B and see how it turns out. Thanks for the info.
Should I be dry hopping this?Other than the ABV content and the special b is there anything else I could add to get it close to the original?

There was no dry-hopping with their recipe.
I just brewed up 5.25 gal. on 2-6 and so far it is pretty tasty. I hit 1.074 and Fg is 1.018 and mashed at 151ish. Another couple of weeks in the bucket and I will bottle it up.

thanks, I downloaded the audio for the the brewing show just havn't listened to it yet. After I listen to it, I'm going to make it for sure. Thanks everyone for the help

ryandcalvert said:
thanks, I downloaded the audio for the the brewing show just havn't listened to it yet. After I listen to it, I'm going to make it for sure. Thanks everyone for the help

Go for it dude!!!

i love arogent bastard but im not up to the complexed brewing methods yet still just using pre-made kits...if i walked into my LHBS with this receipe would the be able to get everything i needed? Would i have to crush my own grains to steep or are they already done?

That beer is so hoppy out of the bottle they would have to dry hop it at the brewery. I wouldn't take those guy's second attempt as law. Let's not forget it's a clone and even if they got really really really close there's know way to know since the big brewerys don't publish that kind of thing. I've been looking around on here and a couple other forums and there's as many clone recipes that do dry hop as there is ones that don't. So in the end just do what makes you happy and doesn't make you worry.

i love arogent bastard but im not up to the complexed brewing methods yet still just using pre-made kits...if i walked into my LHBS with this receipe would the be able to get everything i needed? Would i have to crush my own grains to steep or are they already done?

Yes, but usually they will mill it for you, my LHBS lets us use the mill for free.

I followed the CYBI attempt #2 recipe on 2/12. I kegged it on 2/26 and tasted it last night. They don't sell AB in Utah so I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison but it pretty much tasted exactly like I remember on my last trip to SoCal. This is one I'll definitely put in my regular rotation. My O.G. was a few points higher than CYBI's so my calculated ABV was closer to 8.5%. Here's the recipe I used for a 5 gallon batch.

14.30 lb Rahr Pale Malt
1.60 lb Special B Malt
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (85 min)
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min)
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (15 min)
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007)

mashed at 148 for 70 minutes. fermented at 65 for 5 days, finished at 68 for 2 days. used a yeast starter per jamil's yeast pitching calculator. this was a very active fermentation and i had to use a blowoff tube in my conical for the first few days.

Back