Potassium Metabisulfate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am using potassium metabisulfate in a must. I put two camden tablets in two gallons then attached an airlock. Did this yesterday. Shouldn't I see airlock activity. Its done nothing so far. Is this normal?

Usually you add the sulfite, wait 24 hours and add yeast. Did you add yeast 12 or 24 hours after the sulfite?[/QUOTE

I have not added yeast yet. I was planning to wait 24 hours, but was thinking pms would emitting some SO2 gas. Is it pretty much an inactive ingredient? I was imagining an alka-seltzer like reaction.

Usually you add the sulfite, wait 24 hours and add yeast. Did you add yeast 12 or 24 hours after the sulfite?[/QUOTE

I have not added yeast yet. I was planning to wait 24 hours, but was thinking pms would emitting some SO2 gas. Is it pretty much an inactive ingredient? I was imagining an alka-seltzer like reaction.

No, the S02 will disipate slowly over time.

I usually add it to must in an open container with an Iodine sanitizer soaked cloth over top. Basically open air for 24 hrs. When you come back and stick your nose in it, you'll get a big waft of sulfur, then I rack it to carboy for ferment.

OK - I did this in the primary. Is it OK to now pitch the yeast or do I need to rack to another carboy? Its been about 36 hours now.

Back