SWMBO Learning to Drink Beer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gfei

Reaction score
Last weekend we went out to Capital Ale House with some people, I convinced SWMBO (Bud Lite only drinker, can't stand the taste of actual beer) to try something different (I told her to go for a wheat beer). She ordered a purple haze and loved it.

Today we went on an afternoon trip to Wegmans to pick up some stuff we can't find easily in Richmond (mmm white hots). Walking past the beer cooler she spotted six packs of purple haze, I've never seen her so excited about beer. She grabbed that and started looking through the section with local micros looking for other beers she might like.

Anywho, grabbed a pack of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis and some individual 20ish oz bottles of some other stuff (SN Glissade for us to try and a bottle of double chocolate stout for me... plus a bottle of I don't really know what that came in a very nice 22oz swing top).

I'm excited, she wasn't crazy about the blond ale I brewed (guess I'll be draining that keg myself) but we may be on to something here. Just need to develop her taste for hops and we'll be set.

Just needed to tell someone that...:rockin:

so it CAN be done!! lol just kidding. that good that both of you guys can enjoy beer. it can be a hard job to do switching somebody over from budlight to something dark, or even anything else that has FLAVOR!:mug:

When I first "learned to drink beer" it was coors light (I know...) and I only leaned because they (my "teachers") kept taking away my 2/3 full warm beer and replacing it with the ice cold stuff (which now I know is what made that swill half drinkable.)

Before I switched to homebrewing I drank India (only available in NL, but basically one of the heavier Molson products.) We have since tried a number of craft beers.

I think that the better the beer you drink the more you are likely to actually want to try more, because there is more flavour, more complexity, etc. I am sure there are styles that I won't like when I get to them... but I am more and more likely to try anything the more that I drink stuff that is not crap.

Not really sure if I am making any sort of point here, but after typing all this I am not deleting it :D

I tried for the longest time to get SWMBO to enjoy beer. She used to like a hoegaarden or blue moon now and then in college, but is now lukewarm about them. I tried to get her to try american ales and IPAs, but she takes one sip and shakes her head. Finally, I discovered Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Now she's loving stouts and porters, even if they aren't as chocolaty as Young's. (hence the vanilla porter I have bottled currently)

So I understand your excitement.

Don't give up. When my wife and I got together about 15 yrs ago we both drank bud light. I started getting into SNPA (my dad kept kegs of it) and she couldn't stand it- said it was soapy. Within a few years we had SNPA on tap and she certainly drank her share. But she had almost zero interest or tolerance for anything more aggressive than SNPA. But since I've been brewing (July 2009), entirely IPAs, she now disdains SNPA as being boring and wimpy. Give her a good 6.5% ABW with 60+ IBUs and she's happy.

My gf loves beer. We very similar tastes and she enjoys helping me brew. She doesn't care about the technical stuff, but she really likes capping bottles and drinking the end product.

The guy who got me into homebrewing is less fortunate. His wife hated beer. He got her to drink Purple Haze, and my gf got her to try some fruity lambics. It took a long time, but she's starting to develop a taste for good beer.

There is hope for you/her.

Gfei.

Did you pick up a couple of cans of Grandma Brown's Baked Beans. Lived in the hometown of Wegmans for over sixty years.

My wife has a limited taste for beers (she tries, bless her.) Normally it is fruity/wheat beers she likes, *but* I recently was drinking one of lefthand brewings milk stouts and she fell in love with it. She wants me to try brewing some now.

My wife would never drink anything but Bud Light. I live in Indiana and was doing alot of work near Marshal MI, last year. There is a brewhouse there called Dark Horse Brewing. They have a fantastic amber ale. I would always bring home a six pack at the end of the week. I finally got her to try this beer and she loved it.
I recently started home brewing. Have made an amber and a brown ale and will do my first original recipe this weekend.
We are both now hooked on the home brew and are discussing space management to get a few more carboys so we can maintain a reasonable inventory and never be out of home brew.
Gotta love it! :mug:

I just have to brag my wife is a hop head. One of her favs is the local Troegs Nugget Nectar and she also loved DFH 60 min and 90 min. Thank god she loves hops because I'm about to order a few pounds for brewing IPAs over the summer.

I guess I look at this a different way. My SWMBO never liked beer that much. Since I have been brewing she now likes the "heavier" more flavorful beers. SHE IS DRINKING ALL MY STASH! I'll either have to enlist her in the process or start charging. This may be a problem.

I have to say there are many things I love about my wife, however...

She does not drink beer at all, not even BMC. She doesn't drink wine and her reasoning is that she can taste the fermenation. :drunk: There is literally no hope for me. Shell drink Mikes, vodka, and clear rum.

My sister in law on the other hand loves beer and got into this hobby the same time as me.

My wife and I have very similar tastes in beer, we both are into maltier beers and not fond of strong hop flavors (she says they taste like feet). I've been fortunate that she is much more supportive of my brewing hobby than my car hobby.

My girlfriend got into good beer the same time I did. I just got a bunch of different things to try and we shared them. Now she's a beer snob, and just brewed her first beer the other day, her own recipe. Hope it's good!

I have been going through the same the last few years with my SWMBO. When we met she was a Miller Lite/Martini/Wine drinker. I gradually started getting her to drink other beers. For awhile she like Blue Moon then Abita Amber but now she thinks BM is too sweet and Amber is too "weak". She really liked my Fat Tire Clone and was enjoying my friends Smoked Porter at NYE. I am so proud of her.

Finally, I discovered Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Now she's loving stouts and porters, even if they aren't as chocolaty as Young's. (hence the vanilla porter I have bottled currently)

I'll have to get her to try the double chocolate stout since i picked up a 20Oz bottle on a wim while we were at wegmans.

Did you pick up a couple of cans of Grandma Brown's Baked Beans. Lived in the hometown of Wegmans for over sixty years.

Can't say I'm familiar with the beans... I definately need to stock up on white hots when I can though. I've been away from Rochester for about 2.5 years now and there things I miss a lot (white hots, Dibella's subs mmmm, garbage plates and real burgers). Although a wegmans sub is a close second to Dibellas, Joe Dibella did help danny set up the wegmans sub shop way back when...

The SN Glissade we opend last night didn't go over well with SWMBO. personally I think her taste buds are defective. She telling me it was bitter, I thought it was the mildest and smoothest beer I've tried so far, real easy to drink... oh well, baby steps.

SWMBO is a hard one to please. I made a fruit beer when i first started for her...Took about a month before it mellowed out the tartness. I enjoyed it and other people could get the rasberry flavor and smell out of it...but she said it was to weak.

Basicly, She wants a clone of mikes hard berry.
I told her just take a blonde beer and mix kool-aid in it and you will have it...but it was a no go.

She doesnt like BMC just mikes, and rum w/ fruit punch.
So its nice that i get to drink my whole supply, But wish she would develop some tastes buds for flavor and not sugar :ban:

for all the non loving beer chicks, i think they need to try a bit of the swmbo slayer :p
my gf likes lagers, doppelbocks, and schwarzbier. she's actually encouraging me into trying more difficult beers, woot.

SWMBO is a hard one to please. I made a fruit beer when i first started for her...Took about a month before it mellowed out the tartness. I enjoyed it and other people could get the rasberry flavor and smell out of it...but she said it was to weak.

Basicly, She wants a clone of mikes hard berry.
I told her just take a blonde beer and mix kool-aid in it and you will have it...but it was a no go.

She doesnt like BMC just mikes, and rum w/ fruit punch.
So its nice that i get to drink my whole supply, But wish she would develop some tastes buds for flavor and not sugar :ban:

Me thinks you need to try making her coolers, not beer... I made an Orchard Breesin Apple Cranberry wine, that my Aunt thought was the best white she ever had. Basically a cooler in a wine bottle, no fizz. One of the LHBS I go to has some sort of recipe for making coolers from Purity Syrup...

Back