Fermentation stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conno

Reaction score
Hi
My fermentation stopped after only 36 hours, is this normal? Temps are 20C +/- 2C.
Should I just take a gravity reading today and another tomorrow to see if things have stopped? I just can't believe it could possibly be ready already.:confused:

Its a "Dark Oak Ale" with dry yeast pitched at correct temps.

It can happen. I had one that took 18 hours. Taking successive gravities is the only sure check.

My second brew started immediatly and was done ~ 24 hours. If you want to be safe (and you're planning on using a secondary) just stick with the 1-2-3 practice.

Conno said:
1-2-3?????
Translation
1 week in the primary fermentor. 2 weeks in the secondary fermentor. 3 weeks to carbonate in the bottle. You'll be safe giving it a good 7 days to ferment in the primary. Be patient.

I agree with the others. I had visible fermentation for 1-3 days and all three batches turned out fine. I read about people with one week or more of bubbles in the airlock, but I've not experienced that at all. I subscribe to the 1-2-3 method as well.

Back