Warning! Warning! Warning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
If you brew on a range, you need to be aware of this deadly hazard:

IMG_5095.JPG

This came with my new range and included a bracket to bolt into the floor.

You can't make this stuff up!

sad thing is, some people try to use the oven door as a step and get hurt very badly.... probably the same people that sue because their hot coffee was hot...

Yeah. They've been including brackets since the early 90's. Especially for apartment units.

The bracket was originally intended for a child safety device but, more and more companies have to protect seemingly normal people from themselves.

IIRC, it was originally required by code in commercialized residential because a kid used the door as a step, the range toppled over, and somehow managed to trap the kid inside the oven box. Of course, the kid was too damned younge to be home alone, but was. And the range manufacturer got sued for the act.

Most home inspectors are checking for them to be installed, and some local jurisdictions in NC are requiring them to be properly installed prior to issuing a certificate of occupancy on a new home. Its not in the residential code here yet but they can require it because the manufacturer shows it as a proper installation.

sad thing is, some people try to use the oven door as a step and get hurt very badly.... probably the same people that sue because their hot coffee was hot...

:off: Too many people use that example as the poster child for frivolous lawsuits, when in reality, there was much more to the story than simply some ditzy woman spilling coffee on herself and instantly calling her lawyer to cash in...

Read here. Now you know.

Anyway...

OK I'm gonna stop using the oven door as a step ladder now after seeing that. As an extra precaution, I am also going to stop using a hot grid to scratch my ass. I am also considering that whole "Gas oven as an oxygen tent" idea. I was never really sure about that concept anyway. :(

I peeled those rollover warning stickers off the visor in my Jeep. I'm thinking about replacing them with something like these.

This is clearly a Hurra Torpedo Hater.

Appliances have proven to be safe musical instruments since 1993. Especially if you wear a belt or proper fitting pants.

This was so cool! But the guy playing stove and scaffolding foot needs more practice. He was a little to syncopated for my taste. Keezer/stove guy was dead on imho.;) Who are these people? Why wasn't I a fan of these guys before? *heads off to googledom.*

In the event of using the oven door as a step and causing it to fall on top of you, turn the oven to the highest setting, carefully climb into the oven, and close the door behind you. Bake for at least 60 minutes. This will prevent the problem from re-occuring.

there are hundreds of pics and videos like this on FAIL Blog: Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments I enjoy going through them and getting a good laugh when it gets slow in the shop

The best was this from just a few days ago...

They had a Guinness Book of World Records page on there because it was for "most people killed in a terrorist act", and then they have their typical "break this record!" link right next to it.

Then Guinness demanded that failblog take down their trademarked logo. Double fail!

it's so funny, I just redid my back splash, and saw that mount at the bottom of my oven.. I was like, why in the hell do you need a mount, do some ovens all of a sudden start slipping forward?
I couldn't figure it out.. Now I see.... You know it's so dumb, I didn't even think to do something like that.

My question, once you have cabinets in, how the hell would you actually loosen or fasten that mount, there's no possible way to get back there and tighten a screw. If mine was screwed in, I wouldn't have been able to move the oven out, and would be pissed.

I've been wanting to take a pic of my ale pail, it has the pic with the kid falling face down in it.. and says children could drown..
I wanted to change it to children could get drunk..

I'm too lazy, maybe someone else can do it for me!

The bracket that came with mine is designed to mount on the floor with the opening pointing away from the wall, so the stove just slides in.

This, of course, will not prevent people from pulling the step out further and then flipping the range over.

I may pull the range out and install the bracket. The range is so light that it shifts around whenever I open the oven door.

You really need the clip on newer stoves .Just go into HD and open a stove that is sitting in clearance isle. If you open the door too fast the whole stove tips forward . Didn't happen with older stoves they were much heavier. Its stupid to show someone standing on the door should be a big pot or something ... Or a kid climbing in. But that wouldn't fly someone would sue them about that

my stove is only 3-4 years old.. I can barely drag the thing out, let alone it being to light to flip when opened.. dishwasher that is different story!

I had dishwater out in middle of kitchen during reno.. was washing/rinsing bottles, and putting on washer rack.. I had door open, bottom rack pulled out, well low and behold, it tipped.. 40 bottles crashing down, loud as hell, but NOT ONE BROKE!

Anyway.. I came across this on failblog

fail-owned-breakfast-fail.jpg

That looks like a WIN to me!!!!
They must not be home brewers.

:off: Too many people use that example as the poster child for frivolous lawsuits, when in reality, there was much more to the story than simply some ditzy woman spilling coffee on herself and instantly calling her lawyer to cash in...

Read here. Now you know.

Anyway...

I'm glad somebody posted this ... I was thinking the SAME thing :)

all that link shows is that is was really hot coffee.She still an idiot who got money for no good reason.Should mcdonalds serve their coffee less hot so its ok to spill it on yourself?sorry for the :off:

I'm a machinist.
Every Haas machine I've ever run has a sticker on the back that says,

"WASTE OIL - DO NOT DRINK"

I've got a pic somewhere but it didn't turn out too well.
Besides, management's not too keen on cameras in their shop.

Unfortunately there are those certain "special" people out there that need these warnings.

I have adopted the aphorism, "Common sense ain't so common anymore", as a certainty in today's society.

All I can do is shake my head in dismay.

Read here. Now you know.

Anyway...

I've seen that essay before and several variants, nearly all hosted by and tracking back to statements by injury law firms and advocacy groups for same - not exactly unbiased sources. When I researched the claims independently I found some to be misstated or exaggerated and some outright untrue. Also it leaves out that similar cases since have almost always been dismissed. It's terrible what happened to her, but something terrible happening does not always mean that someone else has to pay.

Though to stray back to the lighter side of things, there are some warning signs which are certainly well-warranted.

If you brew on a range, you need to be aware of this deadly hazard:

IMG_5095.JPG

This came with my new range and included a bracket to bolt into the floor.

You can't make this stuff up!

The gentleman who did our home inspection noted that our safety bracket was not installed. He missed the fact that our hvac was leaking into the crawlspace, and the fact that the attic fan did not work. But that is understandable, he probably would have gotten dirty if he had checked the attic or the crawlspace. :confused:

Latest posts

Back