alcohol % for grape concentrate wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to that thread, the recipe is around 12%-13%. When I made that recipe scaled to a 2 gallon batch, mine came out at 15.5%

awesome I was hoping It would come out potent, If I added more sugar before fermentation would I increase my final alcohol content and is there a limit too this???

Yes and yes. More sugar=more alcohol to an extent. The yeast will die of alcohol poisoning at some point, but that point depends on the yeast. You can also add more sugar at staggered intervals for a better result, it wouldn't stress out the yeast as much as all the sugar at once.
Just remember, higher alcohol=higher chance of tasting like rocket fuel=requires more time to age=years of waiting.
My batch of the Welchs wine was made on 6/4/11. It came out at 15.5%, and still tastes like rocket fuel. So at 7 months old, I'm thinking this will need as least another year to age.

im a whiskey lover so alittle rocket fuel isnt going to bother me too much.. the yeast I used says it can go to 18% so does that mean when the alcohol content gets to 18% the yeast will die and the remaining sugar will just make the wine sweet? Too me that sounds like an excellent way to sweeten a wine without adding chemicals.. or am I missing something...

The 18% is what is rated for. Sometimes it can go higher than the rating. Pacman yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 12%, yet my braggot that was fermented with Pacman yeast is at 14% and still climbing. So trying to use the alcohol tolerance of the yeast to stop fermentation can be hit or miss. As DoctorCAD had stated, young wine tastes like a$$, and with the higher percentage of alcohol, the longer it has to age before it stops tasting like a$$.

Nobody here can really tell you what you can or can't do, so if you want to make that wine 18+% alcohol, I say go for it. But just warning you, it will taste like Satan's anus for a while.

I would probably suggest making the original recipe as it is first, and then maybe make a second batch of the Satan's anus wine, just for comparative purposes.

Back