First time brewer FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosierdad

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First off just wanted to say that these forums are great and I really appreciate all the help you guys offer. My question is: I just started brewing and my first beer was a Power Pack Porter from MW. Starting OG was 1.065 and everything went well during the brewing. I used a Wyeast smack pack which was only 2 weeks old, and fermentation took off in about 5 hours bubbling strong for about 4 days. It's been between 68 and 71 for the whole time. After that it would bubble about every 30 seconds for about the next 3 days, and for the last 5 or 6 days its been about 1 every 1 minute. My question is: It's been in primary for 12 days and I just popped the top to get a FG reading. OG was 1.065 and recommended FG is 1.012-1.015, mine is sitting at about 1.024. Any suggestions on what's going on? Just need more time or what do you think?

Thanks again.

I agree that it probably needs more time. Check the gravity again tomorrow. If it is lower, just leave it alone for another week. If it isn't lower...well, come back and say so :)

My bet is that it will be lower.

I would gently give it a little swirl with a sanitized stir spoon to wake up the yeast and get them in suspension. I had a similar problem last summer from MW as they shipped it during a major heat wave, and the yeast were a little stressed.

I figure I'll let it go another 4 or 5 days. I did swirl it for about 20 seconds before I sealed it back up. One thing I did notice about this kit, I've heard a few people say it was really sweet at first, mine tasted great, not overly sweet. Thanks guys, I appreciate it. One other thing, I thing I'm going to go ahead and make the leap to AG, I will eventually anyway, why not now. I'm looking for a 5 gal or 7 gal. Igloo cooler for my Mash Tun, and I have a 9 gal brew pot. Do I need a bigger pot? Or just maybe another smaller 5 gallon?

I figure I'll let it go another 4 or 5 days. I did swirl it for about 20 seconds before I sealed it back up. One thing I did notice about this kit, I've heard a few people say it was really sweet at first, mine tasted great, not overly sweet. Thanks guys, I appreciate it. One other thing, I thing I'm going to go ahead and make the leap to AG, I will eventually anyway, why not now. I'm looking for a 5 gal or 7 gal. Igloo cooler for my Mash Tun, and I have a 9 gal brew pot. Do I need a bigger pot? Or just maybe another smaller 5 gallon?

I would suggest getting a 10 gallon cooler. That way you have the option to do large grain bills later on. A 9 gallon pot is plenty to do AG.

Back