Tippy journal weight capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefromcu

Reaction score
Especially for all you welders out there...

I'm looking at putting together a large, scaled up version of the tippy design, using custom 65 gallon kettle as the mash tun. My question is whether the journals (the Frankenstein-like things that are welded to the ring around the pot that it rests and pivots on) can hold the weight of the pot in the static position when it is full of mash. Empty, once drained, I'll "tip" it, but the weight is substantially less.

I was planning on wrapping the pot with 3/16" thick, 1 3/4" wide belt. The journal posts themselves will be 1" diameter, solid round, 1.75" long.

The weight of the kettle that the TWO journals needs to carry, when full and not "tipping" is:

TOTALLY MAXED OUT: 150 pounds of grain, plus 48.75 gallons water (8.33#/gallon) = 406 pounds, plus weight of kettle (20#?) = 575 pounds or so.

So, that's almost 300 pounds per journal - just want to be sure that's ok before I proceed.

Thanks!

Sorry for a pic of a sketch. I can't draw on the computer very fast. This is a fast sketch and not accurate. But you get the idea. I would build it like a swing. Let the cradle carry all the weight. I think 1" pins would be fine. I would slide the pins into bearings for easier action.

Something like this. I would make 4 gusset plates for each pin and place them at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions.
P1010169.jpg

Thanks GM. I am planning on going with a cradle design, just as you've drawn, and just as MoreBeer does on their tippy sculptures. currently I have a 2050 tippy system. For that system, they use a 3/4" tube for the journal (pivot post). Since I'm putting a lot more weight on, I'm going with 1" solid.

I spoke with a friend who is a welder at NASCO (ship builder here in San Diego) and he said as long as the weld was clean and solid (no gaps) that it would have no problem at all holding the weight. Gussets would be unnecessary even at twice the weight. So, I've got that going for me.

My current system uses no bearings, the journal rests in a 1/2 round cradle and since it only moves to tip out the mash, I'm going to forgo the bearing too.

Thanks for getting right on this too! Awesome, man!

Back