Double RyePA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerForTim

Reaction score
My brewing friend and I just put together this recipe using 90% ingredients we have on hand, only needing to buy yeast, basemalt and an ounce of hops. We also wanted to experiment with a semi-continuous hop addition. Hoping we put together a killer beer.

5 Gallon AG Batch - 90 Minute Boil

Targeted OG - 1.089
Targeted FG - 1.022
ABV - 8.7
IBU - 128.9

These are just the numbers Brewtarget split out at me. Anything can happen on brew day.

Grain
13lb. Briess 2-Row
3lb. Weyermann Rye Malt
1lb. Flaked Oats

Hops - 6oz. Total
1oz. Galena @ 60min.
.71oz. Falconer's Flight @ 60min.
.71oz. Falconer's Flight @ 50min.
.71oz. Falconer's Flight @ 40min.
.71oz. Falconer's Flight @ 30min.
.71oz. Falconer's Flight @ 20min.
.71oz. Falconer's Flight @ 10min.
.71oz. Falconer's Flight @ Flameout

WLP001 California Ale Yeast

I don't believe in the "Continuous Hopping Fad", especially when using really aromatic hops. You're better off following a 60/10/0/DH Schedule in my opinion. No reason to use both Galena and FF at 60 min. For a standard pale ale, you don't want it to be all that bitter either. So my advice would be to bitter with 1/2 oz. early and add the rest at 10 minutes left in the boil and beyond. You could use a lower attenuating yeast for a low abv pale ale too (if you choose) or one that accentuates the malt character a little more than 001.

grain bill looks great, but im going to agree with bob about the continuous hopping.

falconers is amazing as a flavor/aroma hop. i would use larger additions later in the boil, and also dry hop, definitely save some for dry hopping for that huge hop nose.

Never heard of a Double Pale Ale.... but I've heard of a Double IPA.

If it existed, I would think "Double", as it pertains to a standard Pale Ale, would mean a higher gravity but still 40 IBUs or less and not in the IPA range.

I'd agree with Bob; continuous hopping always seems like a waste to me, but I'm all for experimenting just for one's own enjoyment. You might also try FWH with some of the bittering additions, just for fun.

Don't plan on dry hopping. We want to drink this as soon as we can. I've got 12oz. of FF total, plenty for another beer.

Never heard of a Double Pale Ale.... but I've heard of a Double IPA.

If it existed, I would think "Double", as it pertains to a standard Pale Ale, would mean a higher gravity but still 40 IBUs or less and not in the IPA range.

Jesus...8.7 targeted ABV and 128 IBU. Find me a "Pale Ale" like that, will ya? It's an DIPA with Rye, a Double Rye. Call it what you f'ing want, lol.

I guess Double RyePA was a quirky way of saying Double IPA with rye.

My bad. I'm not down with these plays on words :) Shoulda said your OG & IBU specs in the opener.

We weren't intentionally brewing it as a DoubleIPA. We agreed on the grain bill and agreed on using 5oz. of the FF and 1oz. of Galena because he "swears" on it. We typically use a traditional hop schedule, and although this is our first time using FF we wanted to try an "every 10 minute" thing. I had the beer set up as an American Wheat/Rye and the OG/FG numbers were way off and when I switched it over to DIPA they lined up.

Galena is a good hop overall. It's under-utilized by many brewers, just like Nugget, Apollo, Horizon. You can use any of those hops anywhere you want and you'll get something good out of it.

We weren't intentionally brewing it as a DoubleIPA. We agreed on the grain bill and agreed on using 5oz. of the FF and 1oz. of Galena because he "swears" on it. We typically use a traditional hop schedule, and although this is our first time using FF we wanted to try an "every 10 minute" thing. I had the beer set up as an American Wheat/Rye and the OG/FG numbers were way off and when I switched it over to DIPA they lined up.

cool well good luck let us know how it turns out!

Galena is a good hop overall. It's under-utilized by many brewers, just like Nugget, Apollo, Horizon. You can use any of those hops anywhere you want and you'll get something good out of it.

Good to know. I'm a huge hop head and have brewed four IPAs so far. I haven't used any of those yet, but definitely will look into it in the future. I typically always use Citra somewhere in the beer, and lots of it.

Back