burner gas connections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay3712

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks entirely to this great community I am nearing completion on my single tier and have finished outfitting my keggles and building my control panel.

The stand will run on NG and Honeywell 8200 valves. I am having trouble figuring out how my burners are going to connect to my Honeywell valves.

Honeywell valves are 1/2" Female NPT and the burners have a 3/8" Male Flare orifice (which I realize I will have to drill to run on NG pressure). I almost ordered some hoses from PlumbingSupply.com, but then I realized that they do not come with a female flare on one side...

I may just be dense but I haven't been able to figure out how others are doing this without several threaded connections on the burner end. I think minimizing the number of connections will give me the best chance for a leak-free system. I would greatly appreciate some guidance so I can avoid ordering the wrong things. It would be so much easier if I could just hold this stuff in my hands and figure it out.

Unrelated, I am using an integrated gas beam with 1/2" black pipe as the input to the Honeywells.

While I am typing all this out I may as well address the NG supply to the stand as well to make sure I am not missing something... I am going to hook up to the 3/8" quick disconnect that is on the patio. I am hoping I can get a reasonably priced QD hose from the same place as the above to save on shipping. I can then adapt this to the 1/2" female NPT input on the gas beam.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Jason

Don't know for sure about the transitional gas piece at the valve/burner end, but at the other end you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by changing the household gas fitting so you can use a 1/2" gas hose and matching QDs, not 3/8"...

Cheers!

Don't know for sure about the transitional gas piece at the valve/burner end, but at the other end you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by changing the household gas fitting so you can use a 1/2" gas hose and matching QDs, not 3/8"...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have thought about this... there is a reducer going from 1/2" supply to the current 3/8" QD, so the supply line is 1/2" and I could do what you suggest. Do you think the benefit of that would be significant in this setup?

Jason

There've been a couple of threads recently where long NG hoses were causing headaches on rigs using multiple large burners, and I'm pretty sure they were using 1/2" hoses at that. You don't have a heck of a lot of pressure to work with so constrictions should be avoided to keep the available volume as high as possible...

Cheers!

Hope this helps. I just removed the 3/8" flare x 1/2" MPT and connected the flared gas connector directly to the burner. Let me know if the picture isn't clear enough.

IMAG0249.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 152
Back