Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solaris79

Reaction score
Anyone know a good extract recipe for this beer? It was one of my favorites when I lived on the East Coast, and it's pretty difficult to find in bottles around here.

I love that brew, too. I have a recipe that I formulated to clone it, but have never brewed it and I wouldn't want to waste a batch of your beer on it .

You can put it out here. I'll run it by my local homebrew store and see how it works out.

A book I have says they use Galena, Willamette, Fuggle, and Golding for hops. It says the use malted oats, but doesn't mention what other grains. I'd say theres clearly some roasted barely, and perhaps some coffee/chocolate malt.

That is a great beer love only ever seen one bottle in my area love to get my hands on more

image-142554757.jpg

Here's some more info I found from looking around the web:

Old Engine Oil

Old Engine Oil is the second Harviestoun beer to win the competition of the British Nationwide Supermarket chain TESCO.

Old Engine Oil is a near-black brew with a silky-smooth rummy aroma, a coffee-ish palate, and a suggestion of the darkest chocolate. It is made from pale malt, roasted
barley and malted oats. Old Engine Oil is well-hopped with the sweetish variety Galena from Washington State, Worchester Fuggles and East Kent Goldings.

The PG (present gravity) of Old Engine Oil is unusually high. This is because Ken Brooker wanted to produce a beer that had the character of a barley wine, i.e. high PG, lots of mouthfeel and high viscosity but with only 6 % ABV, rather than the more normal barley wine ABV of about 8.5 %.

He has used a high mash temperature to give the required wort profile. The trick is to balance this sweetness with the hop bitterness and acrid flavors from the Roast Barley.

Source: http://www.bunitedint.com/media/resources/sales_sheets/Harviestoun_1.pdf

FWIW, AHS has just added Old Engine Oil (Harviestoun) (12B).
Extract: 6 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lb Dried Malt Extract, .5 lb Base Grains, 2.75 lb Specialty Grains
Mini Mash: 6 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lb Base Grains, 2.75 lb Specialty Grains
All Grain: 10 lb Base Grains, 2.5 lb Specialty Grains

WLP002

Back