First Dunkelweizen recipe-comments?-Like Dark and Curvy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatDunkel

Reaction score
Hello,
I plan to make a 5.5 gal Dunkelweizen. It will be the first AG recipe I tried to develop myself. I used Jamil's book plus other recipes on this and other sites to try and come up with something great. My favorite dunkelweizen is actually Dark and Curvy from Piece Brewery in Chicago. I cannot seem to find that recipe so I am shooting from the hip. Below is a draft that I've come up with:

6 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 53.6 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.7 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.4 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.1 %
6.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.1 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 14.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068

Any comments? I also had a crazy idea of adding a small amout of cocoa to the boil. Is that nuts? If not, how much would you add?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Pat

Looks like a good recipe to me. As far as cocoa goes I've only added it to a couple of stouts and it was very chocolatey (and good). I used 8 oz of Hersheys unsweetened cocoa with a couple of minutes left in the boil. I suppose if you were to add it to a dunkel you'd want to scale it back some, maybe 4 oz instead. Hope this helps

I personally wouldn't adulterate the special flavor of a dunkel...but thats just me :) People would probably say the same thing to me on some of the unique stuff that i have tried.

Rather than adding cocoa to the boil, I rack on top of Cacao Nibs going to secondary. Makes for an awesome dunkle. To sanitize the nibs I put them in just enough water to cover the nibs in a small pan. Then I will boil it for 15 minutes, put it on an ice bath till it reaches the same temp as my beer. Add the nibs in your ready to go secondary fermenter, then rack your beer on top. I let it sit for two weeks. Turns out really good IMO.

Thanks. Do you guys secondary your dunkelweizens? I was thinking not, as with hefeweizens. If I do, then the nibs would work and sound like a great idea. Do they impart a chocolate flavor similar to cocoa or something else?
I really appreciate the feedback guys (or gals).
Thanks,
Pat

I always secondary my dunkle, mainly for the point of racking it on the nibs lol. IMO the nibs add a good cocoa flavor. I brought some to my brew club meeting and all the woman said it tasted just like chocolate though.

I am finishing the latter of 2 Dunkels, one with chocolate wheat and the other with English chocolate malt, and in my opinion, the English chocolate was better. The wheat lent a dirty/cloudy look that the other batch did not have. Also, watch your fermentation temps, that yeast can throw crazy banana esters if it gets to warm, and I would use a blowoff for sure. If you do secondary, don't for too long, this style is meant to be drank nice and young. I went from grain to glass in barely 3 weeks, with force carbing. Just my 2 pennies.

Thanks for the info on the nibs.

As for the chocolate wheat, that's just for color as I thought that's what you'd use to darken a wheat beer, I will change that to regular chocolate malt based on what you said.
As for temps, I am fortunate to live in WI. My basement is 64 and my passive "ghetto" wine cellar (read: closet in basement insulated from living space with bare outside facing concrete walls) stays at about 54 right now. I actually have an all grain pseudo- Czech pils in there on secondary with wyeast 1007 that I primaried in there too.b so, I can keep the temp low.
Shooting for 64 sound good?
Pat

Back