Can I replace corn sugar added at flame out with brown sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikecshultz

Reaction score
I found a recipe (kit) on northern brewer that is a triple/IPA hybrid of sorts (http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/HoublomonstreTripelIPA.pdf). It looks really interesting and I am planning on basing my next brew on the recipe. It calls for 2 lbs of corn or priming sugar to be added at flame out. I was thinking of using brown sugar instead, since I have a bunch lying around.

Now for my questions:

What is the purpose of adding sugar at flame out like this? Is it just to up the gravity?

Will be OK substituting brown sugar? What effect will it have, and should I change the amount that I add?

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks all.

Brown sugar will work, it just has a bit of molasses in it for coloring, otherwise it's just sucrose. You add it at flameout because there's really no need to boil it for any period of time, you're basically just melting it and sanitizing it.

Yes, but fermented brown sugar doesn't taste flavor neutral like corn sugar. Brown sugar has a weird taste once it's fermented, and definitely doesn't belong in an IPA.

Use table sugar or corn sugar, but not brown sugar.

Yes, but fermented brown sugar doesn't taste flavor neutral like corn sugar. Brown sugar has a weird taste once it's fermented, and definitely doesn't belong in an IPA.

Use table sugar or corn sugar, but not brown sugar.

Thanks. Should I just use the same amount of table sugar as corn sugar?

mikecshultz said:
Thanks. Should I just use the same amount of table sugar as corn sugar?

Yes, the same amount. Btw, +1 to brown sugar adding a funky flavor. Also I wouldn't add at flame out, I'd do more like the last 10 minutes. You want to be sure it's all dissolved.

I would wait and go to the store, just boil the corn sugar, cool it and add it as soon as you can.

I would wait and go to the store, just boil the corn sugar, cool it and add it as soon as you can.

I am not gonna brew it for like a week, so I may just use the corn sugar. Thanks for the help all.

Back