Hop Frog IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Used two vials
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days at around 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13 days at around 70
Additional Fermentation
1 day of tertiary to remove dry hops
Tasting Notes
A nice grapefuit/pine blend in the nose balance with a high malt profile.
Hop Frog

20# UK 2 row (Marris otter is also very good in this beer)
4 # Cara Pils
2# Caramel 15
2# Munich 10

2 oz Chinook @ 60 min(Colunbus works as a sub)
2 oz Simcoe @ 60 min
2 oz Cascade @ 15 min
2 oz Cascade dry

Mash at 158 for 60 min no mask out. Fly sparge at 170.

This is my best beer so far (I started brewing 2/10 so I haven't done that many yet). It started as a Ranger clone but once I realized it was better than the real thing I started doing 10 gallon batches. :rockin:.

I'd love to hear what the community thinks good or bad.

Your bittering hop combination is interesting. Chinook is fairly high in cohumulone (31%) while Simcoe is one of the lowest at 17%. I'd like to know how that tastes.
I have always thought that Cascade finishing hops go well with Simcoe bittering.

Also, I like the Hop Frog name. It reminds me of a local radio station that used to run these fake joke beer commercials for Tree Frog Beer. Their motto was "It doesn't tastes like much but it gets you there faster."

I got the hop combination from New Belgium's website on Ranger IPA. You can get a good feel for the hop flavor from a Ranger. This recipe however, has a stronger malt character to it that I think comes from the Munich.

Hop-wise, there's a pine bitterness in the back of the palette that anchors the beer. It's followed up with the citrus grapefruit flavor form the Cascade in the front of the pallete. The extra malt provides the balence needed to support 80 or 90 IBUs. In that way it reminds me a bit of Lagunitas Hop Stoopid.

The name is actually a reference to an Edgar Allen Poe story and goes with the Ravenshead brewery logo.

Just an FYI but the ranger clone recipe is in one of the latest BYO or Zymurgy mags, forget which one.

I do remember this is a very dry ferment, something like 1.061 to 1.009 or so and lots of late hops.

Just an FYI but the ranger clone recipe is in one of the latest BYO or Zymurgy mags, forget which one.

I do remember this is a very dry ferment, something like 1.061 to 1.009 or so and lots of late hops.

I think it was the BYO with Kim from NB on the cover.

Thanks for the clone info. Now I have this one though I'm not sure still want to clone Ranger. I like this one better. :D

It is pretty close to Ranger though.

Measured OG/FG were about 74 and 14 respectively.

He's a couple Pics.

beer_23.jpg

DSC00320.JPG

Nice looking beer! Recipe sounds good too.

Where's your hurricane shutters??!?! ;)

Actually, from where I took that photo they are right behind me. Obviously we live near each other, what neighborhood are you in?

Back