White Labs Tasting Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there twice, did the tour - it is pretty awesome. They usually have 4-5 sets available (3-7 of the same beers all with different yeasts). Really opens your eyes to exactly what the yeast is contributing as well as trying out some interesting yeast combos and getting ideas.

The tour is pretty awesome too, and they are looking into getting reduced pricing for homebrewers on their analysis services, according to the gen. manager.

Also, they use the White Labs yeast vials as tap handles and flasks & such as chandelier lighting above ;)

WLP001 - your basic cali common yeast used by many brewers as a default yeast. What did I learn when I went? It was terrible! They lined up WLP001 against 3 other alternative strains and WLP001 easily ranked last. I realized I was *wasting* my beer with this yeast.

This place is a MUST for EVERY brewer that lives or visits SD. Taste the same beer fermented with 4 radically different yeasts results in 4 totally different beers. Yeah we all know yeast in important, but, not as important as you probably realize, unless you've been. Mr. White knows this which is why he built this impressive tasting room dedicated to this fundamental fact.

Here's their always current tap list:
http://www.whitelabs.com/wlbrewing/beermenu.html

Also, you can buy anything from their catalog including every yeast they produce. They're never out of stock. Costs no more than lhbs. Support your lhbs for sure, but if you're inspired by a particular yeast you tasted, you can get it before you leave and not worry about your lhbs having it in stock.

tapstaps.jpg

Back