salt water hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
one of my hobbies is a large salt water reef tank. I have a hydrometer to test the salt water gravity. It is very easy to read. My question is could I use the same type for my beer. It should being testing the same thing correct:rockin:

They are not really the same type of hydrometer, I guess you could use it to a certain extent but it is, most likely, inaccurate. A salt water hydrometer measures salinity, amount of salt dissolved in water. An alcohol hydrometer measures specific gravity, amount of sugar to water. Specific gravity readings depend on temperature, however salinity does not depend on temperature, if I remember correctly.

A hydrometer measures fluid density relative to water. What creates that density (sugar, salt, etc) is irrelevant. The problem you may have is that most aquarium hydrometers don't register past about 1.035. If it is a full range hydrometer, it should work fine.

I agree with Doolittle, the hydrometer should work as long as it measures high enough SG that you will be brewing. Also, make sure to sanitize it really well... you probably don't want any fishy or salty tasting beer...

Should be fine for checking the final gravity (AKA precision hydrometer), since sea water runs around 1.022. I have a high range hydrometer (0.980-1.170) for OG and a -5 to 5 Brix for FG.

I use an aquarium hydro and have since I started brewing. The range is somewhat limited (.0090 to 1.080) but I've never brewed outside the range yet. Another interesting thing... it's calibrated to 70F and not 58F like most brewing hydros. That's actually a benefit.

you guys talking about those cheap plastic 'swing arm' style hydrometers?

when i ran my reef tank I had one. it was wildly inaccurate. i got a hydrometer and found out just how off it was.

coulda been a lemon tho.

Back