Silly Dip HOSE idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davepeds

Reaction score
Masters, teach this foolish grasshopper.

I'm thinking about connecting my bulkhead to a stainless filter that will fit on the bottom of my keggle via silicone tubing. Is that the craziest idea you've ever heard of?

I actually have enough copper 1/2 in around to make a dip tube, I just don't have a soldering torch - just 1/2 tube and slip on 90 degree angles. I thought, if not soldered, then once the wort got to below the bulkhead as it drained I'd lose gravities effect and wouldn't be air tight enough to have a siphon. Does everybody with a dip tube have it soldered together? :drunk:

Nope... I have a false bottom in my BK attached to the outlet via silicon tube... Will try to find a picture to show what I am talking about...

I thought, if not soldered, then once the wort got to below the bulkhead as it drained I'd lose gravities effect and wouldn't be air tight enough to have a siphon. Does everybody with a dip tube have it soldered together? :drunk:

I have a copper dip tube with 2 unsoldered connections and have never had an issue with losing the siphon. The only problem that being unsoldered has presented, was the time I knocked one of the connections apart stirring with my spoon while chilling... I dipped my entire forearm into sanitizer and reached in to reattach it. After that incident, I used channel locks to ever so slightly warp the elbow so it slides on with more tension and no issues since.

Silicon is also a common way to do it, especially with false bottoms it seems. Either way you go I think would work just fine.

Go for it. The silicon can handle the heat, and it loves to slip onto 1/2" copper. I had the same problem with the siphon breaking until I fitted a compression fitting onto the bulkhead and used 3/8" soft copper for a pickup tube. Before that I was using silicon DAP to seal the copper parts together, but I would have to assemble it ahead of time and let the sealant set a day or two before brew day. Yours is a simple solution, and it should work.

Back