Something from nothing - my brew sculpture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalboomer

Reaction score
So I had a bunch of scrap steel from an old workout machine (I mean, nobody USES those things, right? Aren't they just for hanging crap on them? LOL) and we had an old 3" pipe out back that was about 6' long. . . Hmmm. . .

BREW SCULPTURE.

Say good bye to using tables and lifting things up and down. . . I still want gravity fed, but I no longer have to makeshift stuff.

Here's my build. :D

Start:
stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

Just a bunch of parts and a big pipe. . . I decided to keep the torn up top. I can always cut it off later, but it keeps the look of a put-together-from-nothing job.

stand3.jpg

Here are the components (minus one kettle) - the keggle and kettle are borrowed and I haven't made the manifold for the cooler yet. . .

stand4.jpg

So, we decided to use the long 90deg pieces for the legs, two of them used to be the rowing attachments and I am leaving the handles (although I'm probably going to pay for that as I AM going to trip over the stupid things. . . :D and just before we welded them to the post, we decided to weld some nuts and screws to make it easy to level the thing. . . it's not too clear in the pic, but you can see the nut with a hex countersink screw. . . works GREAT.

Oh yes, we're working with flux core and it's messy. And the paint melts. Yes, we are cleaning our weld area (we both have passed our AWS 4.1 and 4.3 tests :ban: ) but the paint melts outside of the weld area. :D Love the smell of melting/burning paint in the morning!

stand5.jpg

First leg being welded. We took our time and made sure that it's as level as we can get it. The pipe ends up sitting about 1/4" above the ground with all four feet, but put any weight on it and it sits right down. . . just perfectly!

stand6.html

stand7.jpg

first two legs on. LONG weld on both sides - not going anywhere. Yes, probably overkill, but hot liquid up high? Yeah, I'll burn some extra wire. :D We stitched it about 3" at a time. The square stuff is only 1/16" so we didn't want to burn through - we focused the heat on the pipe (which is thick) and washed it over to the square and made sure to get good penetration. It's SOLID.

stand8.jpg

Third leg on - good thing we have a lot of clamps! LOL

stand9.jpg

stand10.jpg

Two welded, two tacked, now finishing them up.

stan12.jpg

Now for the shelves. Two will be for kettles/keggles and we decided to have it be a bit adjustable. It's set to have the outside "arm" be able to slide back and forth. Eventually, I'll drill a few bold holes so I can have it attached. It is the right dimension for a keggle, but fits the kettle very well and with the leg slid in, fits a 5 gal aluminum kettle very nicely as well.

stand13.jpg

Keggle on (borrowed Keggle), now on to the next! WOO!

stand14.jpg

the chest I got has stupid wheels and won't stand well without them. . . and I want the drain plug (where the ball-valve will go) pointing out so I had to add the two legs. . . fits perfectly and the lid opens just fine.

stand15.jpg

One more adjustable shelf like the bottom one, and we're golden!

Oh, you can just see them - two little legs sticking out. That's temporary for the burner. I will place a piece of diamond plate that I have laying around and the standalone burner will sit on that.

stand16.jpg

stand17.jpg

To Do:
1. Buy banjo burners and attach them below the HLT and Boil.
2. Build the manifold for Propane.
3. Attach straps to go around the boil and hlt just as a precaution. I'll drill/thread and screw the straps to the pipe and use clip things. . . It will be high enough that the burners should not affect them.
4. I am going to weld a cross-piece between two of the legs and attach some wheels so I can just tilt it and move it.

That's it.

Total cost for the build. . . $0. :rockin:

first brew on it is next Sunday. :D

looks great I made my rig out of scraps left over from a old welding job love the $0.00 cost thing too.

Back