opinion on this hop combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Brewing an American IPA this weekend using leftover hops...what do you guys make of using these 4 together: Warrior, Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade??

Was thinking Warrior and Simcoe as 60 or 45 min additions...then Cascades, Centennials for late additions/dry-hopping.

Opinions?

I'm thinking that's going to be very hoppy :) I use Centennial and Cascade combos all the time and have done it with Warrior in an IPA but never Simcoe so I'm not one to opine on it. My IPA was nice. leaf Warrior 1 oz for 75 min and leaf Centennial 1 oz for 15 with a dry hop Cascade pellets for 12 days.
What IBU do you come up with in a calculator?

Almost 100 IBU after moving the Simcoe to a later addition...seemed a bit too much at the beginning.

Thinking:

1 oz. Warrior at 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe and .5 Centennial at 15 min
.5 oz Cascade and another .25 oz Centennial at 5 min
Then dry-hop with .25 oz Centennial and .5 Cascades

All pellets.

That'll use up everything I have left.

Why not...I'd do it and just might next IPA. Isn't that combo what goes into Dogfish 60?

I'd move some of that warrior to the end to up that dry hop, its a lil small for an IPA. I'd also FWH the remaining warrior to give some more hop character to this

Nothing wrong with where the Simcoe sits right now, however it remains one of my favorite hops to dry hop with.

That combination sounds almost exactly like a batch I brewed a couple weeks ago, albeit not in the same ratios. I love the combo of simcoe and warrior; makes for an excellent IPA.

Regarding dry-hopping with Warrior: having never tried it as such (I always thought it was largely useful for bittering alone, a la Magnum), what exactly does it lend to the aroma?

Regarding dry-hopping with Warrior: having never tried it as such (I always thought it was largely useful for bittering alone, a la Magnum), what exactly does it lend to the aroma?

I'd say a mild citrus, it'll go well with the cascade & centennial. Its a great bittering hop, but that doesnt mean its only useful there.

First Wort Hop, its added to your wort when you begin to sparge. it results in a softer bitterness than a 60min add, and leaves more hop character in it too.
...however, im guessing this is an extract beer so its not really doable since thered be no mash

First Wort Hop. Adding hops to the first runnings from the mash tun. More flavor/aroma. Some say the "perceived" bitterness is that of a 20 minute addition. Lots of threads about it on here.

Yep, it's extract...how'd you guess? Could I get that "softer" bitterness from a 75 min boil? Or 90? I could grab another oz or two of cascade/centennial to up the late additions and/or dry hop...

I am not sure, but could FWH be added during steeping of specialty grains?

From my (admittedly limited) understanding of the purpose of FWH, I don't think this would be the same. The bitterness that we're trying to eliminate comes from actual boiling of the hops, which you'd still end up doing if you dropped hops in with the specialty steep.

Although now that I think about it, I guess you could steep the hops with the specialty grains and then simply remove the hops entirely afterwards, rather than (as I first thought when reading this) moving them over to the main pot with the specialty wort. I suppose it would depend on how long a typical FWH should last and whether circulation (as opposed to steeping) is an important factor.

From my (admittedly limited) understanding of the purpose of FWH, I don't think this would be the same. The bitterness that we're trying to eliminate comes from actual boiling of the hops, which you'd still end up doing if you dropped hops in with the specialty steep.

FWH adds get boiled. they result in 10% more IBUs than a normal 60min add, but they're just 'softer' so it doesn't seem like it.

theres certainly no harm in trying to FWH during your steep. worst case scenario its just a normal bittering add. you could try it with half your bittering add

FWH adds get boiled. they result in 10% more IBUs than a normal 60min add, but they're just 'softer' so it doesn't seem like it.

Interesting. Rather than continuing to hijack this thread, it would seem that others have already gone in this direction. Figured I'd link to the thread in case others were as confused as I was. Thanks for the explanation.

Latest posts

Back