Saison Fermentation & Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmhouse

Reaction score
I brewed my first saison 11 days ago using the Raison D'Saison all-grain recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. The recipe does not specific wether a secondary is necessary or not; an earlier section of the book states that a secondary is only necessary if noted in the recipe notes. I've seen other saison recipes that call for quite a long time in secondary. What do ya'll think?

I plan on corking this batch and bottle conditioning. Should I use the same yeast, 3724, or something else, and how much?

Thanks. beginner here.

I'd use the same yeast for bottle conditioning. I've never added yeast to bottle and (knock on wood) I've never had a batch fail to carb, even up to 13% ABV.

I only secondary now if there's a good reason. Dry hopping, oak aging, or extended bulk aging are usually why I'll use a secondary.

I'm not familiar with that specific recipe, but generally if it's 7-8% ABV or lower, I'll primary for a month, then bottle, if it's higher than that, I may extend the primary to 6 weeks, and secondary anywhere from a month to many months.

EDIT: I'll secondary if I add finings such as gelatin, too. I seldom need to do that though.

10.5 lbs pilsener malt
0.75 lbs wheat malt
0.75 lbs munich malt
2 oz caramunich (steeping grains)
1.7 oz hallertau at 60
0.75 oz hallertau a 0
1 lb cane sugar

2.5 packages of yeast 3724

some notes: My carbon monoxide alarm went off during the sparge. I had to tend to that (turned out to be a false alarm thankfully) and it sat for a while and the temp dropped down to about 115F.
I pitched the yeast at just around 69F (as directed). This was my first saison, and it took a while to get the temp control down. It started bubbling within a couple hours of pitching. The temp increased way too much over the next couple of days, it got up over 100F! During this time krausen was prevalent and the airlock gradually decreased in activity, until it stopped! I got the temp back down to the low 70s and moved the carboy into a bigger location. At this time I increased the temp by a degree per day. When it hit 70-80 airlock activity returned. It was bubbling quite fast for 4 days or so. I've been increasing the temp about 1 degree per day. Now the bubbling is slowing down.

I emailed the wyeast lab tech about my temp increase mishap and he said not to worry about it and to try for a steady 90F.

Back to my original question: I have Brew Like a Monk and Farmhouse Ales, and they both offer a range of info, but I couldn't find specific info on when to use a secondary, if at all, and the amount of yeast to use for bottle conditioning. The books lead me to believe that saisons are brewed in many different ways, and there is no set outline to go by, but i really don't want to screw this one up !

From your recipe, especially with all your mishaps(lol) don't rack. Leave be till clear, bottle and leave it for a minimum of 3 weeks, the longer the better as the 100 degree yeast flavors will mellow over time. Patience will probably make this into a tasty brew

i brewed a saison in November and kegged in January with no use of a secondary. I let it sit in the primary for over a month and i've had no issues as of yet. just make sure you condition it long enough. mine is only now becoming pleasurable to drink one month of keg conditioning at lager temps.

Thanks for the responses. So, do you think I should add a package of yeast before bottling too? The same strain or something like a champagne yeast? Or I could try to harvest yeast from a commercial bottle?

Side question: I've read multiple articles that mention that saisons were brewed in the fall and winter to have a refreshing brew in the spring and summer, but how did they manage to keep such a high fermentation temp during the winter? Is the "brew during winter for a crisp summer saison" story false?

Bottle and let sit around 70. You wont need any extra yeast so bottle and forget. The idea of fall brew and summer drink is not unusual. Fermentation is done in a few days but left to condition for months leaves a clear clean brew with most off flavors havinging been cleaned up. Look at brett and other farmhouse beers using wild yeast. Those can take over a year or more to evolve..

No need to add yeast at bottling unless you're filtering (then why bother... if you filter, you should keg) or you've left it for a LONG (read "about a year or so) time in the fermenter.

Well, I used sugar and pasteur champagne yeast at bottling in April. I waited to try one until mid May and there was barely any carbonation (750 ml corked)-- despite this it tasted GREAT, like a true saison. I had them sitting in a closet just below room temp. So I turned each bottle upside down and put them in hotter room, about 80F.

I waited a month to try another one. There was more carbonation, the cork actually popped, but it didn't taste as good.. I tried another bottle every week or two since then, and it is carbonating nicely and the taste is just getting better... I WISH I would have waited to try the entire batch.. I bet in a month or two they will be even more amazing.. recipe says 6 months is a good amount of time to wait.. but it's so tough

Back