Quick fermentation, then almost stopped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
I have a copper ale (starting gravity: 1.058) that took off like a rocket within 12 hours of pitching Safbrew S-33. It's my first all grain brew, and also the first time I've rehydrated before pitching. It got going quickly, so much so that it bubbled almost half a gallon out of my carboy through the blow off tube (that's never happened before). It was still bubbling and churning like crazy when I checked on it last night.

Now, this morning I checked on it and it's slowed significantly. There are still bubbles coming out, but it is nothing like it was last night. Is 48 hours (maybe a little more) long enough for a 1.058 OG beer to be nearly finished? If so, that S-33 must be some killer yeast.

So, should I be worried? I'm hesitant to take a hydrometer reading b/c I want to long primary this batch and not risk infection. Thoughts?

It's possible that you pitched while the beer was a little warm. This caused the yeast to take off like crazy and do the bulk of the fermentation right away. Let it sit for a few weeks and take a hydrometer reading. It sounds like all is fine.

The wort was just below 70* when I pitched, with the rehydrated slurry at around 85*. Ferm temp has been a stable 60*, which is actually toward the low end of the recommended range for this strain. I have a sticker thermometer on the side of the fermenter so I know I've been right in line with the temp guidelines, and nothing has changed since it started. ???

Yeah, this is not unheard of. I just had a stout that started at 1.100 get down to 1.030 in 48 hours.

Back