IPA batch in my tiny condo kitchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
I'm still a newbie so I wanted to document a brew with some photos... I only brewed one extract batch before I made the jump to all grain... I live by the motto 'go big or stay home', so I tend to jump in the deep end right off the bat.

Here are some photos of a recent brew, I brew in the tiny kitchen of our condo.

This is for an IPA, it's a 14 lbs grain bill for a 5 gallon batch, here are the crushed grains.
1.jpg

Lots o' hops as well....
2.jpg

Roscoe checking out my homemade mash tun, please ignore the label on the cooler, I bought it at a charity auction
3.jpg

Inside the mash tun - hard to see the temp but it's right at my target of 154*
4.jpg

Vorlauf
5.jpg

Collecting the first runnings
6.jpg

7.75 gallons in an 8 gallon kettle... A little too full for comfort
7.jpg

Split the wort between two kettles... Much better
8.jpg

I wish I had a yard to make a compost pile with the spent grains
9.jpg

Just starting to boil... This is a 90 minute boil but the first hop addition isn't until 30 minutes, so I boil in two kettles for an hour, then combine into one at 30 minutes for the first hops addition.
10.jpg

Transferring to the primary
11.jpg

Just short of 5 gallons, miscalculated my boil-off, forgot to consider that I was using 2 kettles for the first part of the boil
12.jpg

The finished product
13.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! I brew inside too, but I have a huge old house. I'm amazed that you vorlauf on that nice carpeting, though. I seem to spray wort everywhere when I open the valve, or recirculate, so I always do it on the hardwood kitchen floor.

I know that Brewtopia posted many pictures of him brewing in his tiny condo, so where there is a will, there's a way!

Very cool. What recipe did you brew? sounds interesting and I'm always on the lookout for good IPA recipes.

I'm amazed that you vorlauf on that nice carpeting, though. I seem to spray wort everywhere when I open the valve, or recirculate, so I always do it on the hardwood kitchen floor.

In person the carpet looks like crap, it's old and stained and really needs to be replaced. I normally do take the time to put a towel down, I just happened to forget for this particular brew session.

Back