Corny Dip Tube: am I stupid or overthinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Okay, this might be something totally silly, I dunno.
It's obvious that the dip tube is bent in a manner that puts the tip in a divot, or what have you, at the bottom/center of the keg.

The problem I'm having is that no matter how hard I try, I cannot get the tube to line up properly. Now, I can get it set right, but tightening the post the last 1/4 turn or so, causes the tube to twist out of position and jam against the bottom of the keg. To me, this seems to put undue stress on the tube, and maybe the o-ring seal as well.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I can't figure out how to keep the tube properly aligned, short of trying a pair of pliers (not a good way to go). I can't undershoot as then the tube gets jammed in an even worse spot. No matter how hard I try, the result is the same.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this much ado about nothing?
Thanks,

Chris

Overthinking..... it is ok
Thanks for taking it easy on me. ;)

While I seriously doubt I could be accused of having small hands, I can reach into the keg far enough to get something of a grip on the dip tube. However, what grip I can get is no match for the torque produced by a 7/8" box end wrench. IF it's no big deal, then I won't worry about it.
Thanks!

Chris

Try some keg lube on the o-rings.
My dip tubes (Pepsi kegs) have a little bump on the side at the top of the tubes that fit in a recess of the threaded keg fitting so that torking on the post doesn't rotate the tubes out of position.

Look on the bright side.... with the dip tube on the side of the keg you'll have some place for sediment to collect :D

You know, I was just thinking... I've got a little tubing cutter around here somewhere...
Thanks again!

If you cold crash you will get most all (if not all) sediment in the first draft or two... Why leave beer behind? Why cut it when late you might decide you shouldn't have (and now there's no way to fix it)... Sorry I just never have found a a good reason in my mind to cut my dip tube (insert circumcision joke here). To each his own! :mug:

Back