Kentucky Breakfast Stout need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryker_hass

Reaction score
Question. I'm at the 13 day mark. Secondary today. OG 1.082 likely b/c I either gathered a little too much wort at sparge OR cont. sparge time not long enough (30 min) should have been an hour. Yeast S-05 (hit 155F on mash)

Only vigorous shake of carboy prior to pitch.

FG 1.29 Pitch more yeast now ?

Thx Jim

AG brewed this courtesy of Gill Breau via BYO
http://nbcba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=796&p=6964

13.25 lb pale malt
1.5 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb roast barley
0.75 lb Belgian chocolate malt
0.5 lb Belgian debittered black malt
0.5 lb 120L crystal malt
1.0 oz Nugget pellet hops, 13% AA (60 min)
1.25 oz Willamette pellet hops, 5% AA (25 min)
1.75 oz Willamette pellet hops, 5% AA (10 min)
2.5 oz Belgian bittersweet chocolate (15 min)
1.5 oz Unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 min)
2.0 oz Ground Sumatran coffee (flameout)
2.0 oz Cold-brewed Kona coffee (in secondary)
American or California Ale Yeast
Boil time: 90 min
IBUs: 73
SRM: 60
Specific Gravity: 1.092
Assumed Efficiency: 75%
Directions
Infusion mash at 155°F for 60 minutes. Add hops, chocolate and coffee as specified. Ferment for two weeks at 65°F. Soak 0.25 oz toasted French oak chips in 1 cup Kentucky bourbon for two days. Soak ground Kona coffee in 1 cup boiled, cooled water and leave overnight, covered, in refridgerator. Strain out grounds and add cold brewed coffee and bourbon, with wood chips, to sanitized secondary. Rack fermented stout onto this mixture and condition in secondary at 55-60°F for 2 to 6 months

Looks intriguing, thinking about brewing one of these myself. Sorry I can't contribute more, although I assume the FG you mean it to be 1.029?

1.029 actually isn't that far off for this beer. expected FG is around 1.024 according to the grand-daddy of founders breakfast stout threads: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/founders-breakfast-stout-clone-139078/, when i made it i ended at 1.025. if your mash temp was off a little, or you didn't pitch enough yeast (did you do 2 packs or just 1?), or any number of other reasons could explain why you're at 1.029. the lack of aeration probably didn't help. big beers need a lot of O2.

if you haven't hit FG and are contemplating re-pitching yeast, you shouldn't move to secondary. don't transfer to secondary until you've reached your FG.

Thank You gentlemen:

Yes FG 1.029 typo. Agree should have added O2 at pitch and should have pitched two packets of yeast - I've been missing my FG by some on a Founder's Porter recipe and this last one (yesterday) I added o2 via a fish pump with a 0.22 micron filter line prior to pitching - so we will see. On the stout, I already did the secondary 3 days ago, that's when I was measuring the gravity (too late to stop). For some reason I was thinking I should be lower on the FG (1.019) or closer to that number. Looked at that thread also - Thanks. Looks like a similar recipe without the bourbon and wood chips.... Will post reply in 2 months on FG and taste. Jim

ps added more yeast also at secondary.

Update 3/6/13 Day 26 from Brew Day. Day 9 from secondary. No activity in secondary. Sugars left must be unfermentable.

Mashing at 155 is too high for an imperial stout. You need to mash fairly low since you are going to have a lot of unfermentables anyway.

Day 70 approx from Brew Day: Keg 4.22.13 FG 1.026 wow taste out of the gravity tube !
Someone should make this recipe.

Brewing this again today almost 1 year from my original brew in feb 2013. I now am down to my last bottle Used the beer gun it get the last 12 out about 6 months ago Still a fabulous beer. Only thing change from original. Sparge 45 min or longer. Two packs S-05

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bree

I am brewing a big breakfast stout similar and want to know if you felt that the mash temp of 155 was beneficial or too high? Mine was 155 also. I am pitching S-04 instead of 05 and will be aging it quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unfortunately, I have no idea on the mash temp. The beer was good, I'm not sophisticated enough to know the difference in taste between a mash of 155 and 152. I was just following the recipe I was given. I have not though, made a beer with this high a mash temp.....but I'm generally making IPAs, Wheats and Porters.....this is the only stout that I have made.... others on this thread have commented they thought the 155 was too high....Good Luck

Back