What to do now (keezer died)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My keezer died I added freon to it the other day and it cooled down to 13 d

To 13 degrees and now the compressor won't start I guess I'll have to build a new one a lot of work down the drain, I can't find another freezer the same size so ill have to at least rebuild the top,what to do now I'm extremely pissed off.dont know what to do???

image-1874042851.jpg

Bought a used keezer off Craigslist I should of just got a new one six months later its dead WTF!!!

In your case, it just might make sense to have an actual refrigeration tech find the root cause of the keezer failure and fix same.

It'd likely cost a few hundred bucks, which would suck, but maybe it would suck less than the alternative...

Cheers!

[edit] Btw, that's a really good looking keezer. Nice job. It definitely deserves saving one way or the other...

Love your keezer shell....but it makes no sense to spend that much effort, and money I'm guessing, on the outside if you're going to throw a used keezer under it.

I feel for your loss, but I think you're looking at repair and the associated cost in this case.

Chest freezers are surprisingly standardized in their dimensions. I just replaced a 13 year old freezer with a new one of the exact same measurements... My collar slid right on like a fitted suit. Have you taken your tape measure out to a few stores to look?

Also, are you keeping the probe in or taped to a small bottle of water? Dangling it loose in the air will severely short cycle the compressor and slash its life expectancy.

Why did you add to the charge and how they are close looped systems. Also it may just be that the overload/starter relay has failed I keep a few 3n1's around for this purpose.

I added a line tap to add freon plugged it in and it got very cold , put it back together ran for a few min then it started making this clicking sound feels like compressor try's to start but its frozen or something

That is a very nice cabinet you built for it. As someone else already said, that is a lot of pretty work to toss in a used freezer. I bought a used one about 15yrs ago and it also died. I would never do that again. My coffin keezer is only a 7cu ft model and yours appears to be larger so I know the cost for new is >$200. But you have more than that tied up in labor in your build.

Back