cold conditioning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been drinking my homebrew for about 5 months now, and about 90 percent of the time I drink a homebrew I first take a couple out of the cases in my basement, then toss them in the fridge, wait 30 or so minutes, maybe a day max, then crack them open and enjoy...

Am I missing out on an important cold conditioning that occurs to bottles? I thought if anything I would be increasing the time that the yeast is active inside the warm bottles, but maybe not? Should I have these beers on the cold for at least a few weeks for prime flavor?

thanks for the help everyone,

Cold conditioning is essential for some styles. However, for most ales, the issues is solubility of carbon dioxide gas in the liquid beer. Even at room temp, there will be CO2 dissolved in the beer. However, colder temperatures increase the amount of CO2 that can be dissolved into the beer. If you leave your beer in the fridge a few days before drinking, it allows time for the gas pressure between the cap and the surface of beer in the bottle to force CO2 into solution. The result is a fully carbonated beer with itty bitty bubbles drifting up through your beer making a heavenly fine head, and that delightful tingle on your tounge.

I am not very experienced but I have let a few of my beers sit in the fridge for about a week and have definately tasted a positive difference from the ones that I just let sit in there for about an hour. I still allow the beer to stay in the bottle at warmer temperatures(65-72) for at least 3 weeks before putting it in the fridge.

does it matter if you store them at room temp for a prolonged period of time? say a few months then pop them in the fridge? im low on space and trying to figure out where to put my residual brews.

scinerd3000 said:
does it matter if you store them at room temp for a prolonged period of time? say a few months then pop them in the fridge? im low on space and trying to figure out where to put my residual brews.
AFAIK, no. I do it that way also.

Whenever I take 1-2 out I replace it with a warm one (place it in the back and bring the others in there to the front). ;)

In my experience it is fine to keep the beer at room temp for awhile. Some beers benefit from prolonged periods of time at room temp.

Back