Boulevard Rye-on-Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
Hey all!

I just got a 3L barrel from www.barrelsonline.com/ . I'm going to condition the barrel with some red wine first, then I will be aging a barleywine that was brewed back in November.

I want to do a big rye next. Rye-On-Rye by boulevard is of course a world class example. My question is two fold: They mention two types of rye malt on the website..any idea of what they are? My LHBS only carries one type. http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/rye-on-rye/ . Secondly, what type of yeast is usually used? Should I go neutral (05) and just let the rye shine through?

I was also thinking about putting some C120 in it. I love the raisiny taste but don't know if it would just be too much flavor. I'm shooting for a OG around 1.080 – 1.085 so it's going to sit for a while.

Thanks for the input!

3L is .75 gallons. Anything you are going to let sit for while will only come out to be maybe 6 beers?
If its worth the trouble and wait for only 6 beers then have at it! just might want to up your scale a little bit.
let us know how it works out!

Sorry, I forgot to be clear about that! I did 5Gal of the barleywine...and will be doing 5Gal of the Rye, too...but I would age some in the barrel..bottle about 2 gallons straight out of the secondary and then dry hop and bottle the other 2 gallons.

Back