Air Lock on secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
This is my first brew with a secondary fermentation. After I transfer from the primary to the secondary, does the secondary carboy get a airlock just like the primary? If so, Should I expect to see any bubbles?

Yes it gets an airlock. As for the bubbles, don't expect much action, but don't rule anything out either. Use vodka instead of water in the airlock. Barometric pressure changes can make your secondary suck instead of blow.

the only bubbles you should be getting is from trapped CO2, so maybe a lil at first and then on occassion with temp changes n vibrations.

out of curiousity, why will you be using a secondary?

Vodka?!?

Better than sanitzed water or tap water?

Has anyone drank the airlock vodka? (I know, seems like a dumb question.)

KavDaven said:
Vodka?!?

Better than sanitzed water or tap water?

Has anyone drank the airlock vodka? (I know, seems like a dumb question.)

Yes, yes, and yes ;-). I had a very hoppy PA, so I thought I would try the vodka afterward too see how hoppy it tasted. Could not taste the hops over the cheap vodka heat hehe.

For secondary though, sanitized water (or StarSan) is fine. StarSan foams too much for primary in my experience.

If I am out of airlocks I will use a stopper with tape over it or an orange carboy hood with both caps in place. When I do this, I purge the headspace with CO2 first.

I exclusively use vodka in my airlocks, peace of mind imo, if it sucks back in when I life the carboy or if theres a pressure change it makes no difference to the beer at all as its just a little bit of sterile alcohol

I'm still shocked by the vodka. Tasteless, that why we don't use Sailor Jerry rum? The high alcohol content of the vodka prevents infection that tap water would welcome? Even sanitized water would/could eventually become contaminated?

Not to hijack the thread or anything and considering the subject matter, I wonder how many of us are actually somewhat intoxicated when we post. Vodka?

So, if there is a pressure change and a little vodka gets sucked back into your brew? well, ABV just increased? If vodka is sucked back into your brew will that kill/hurt/interfere with the yeasties? So, has anyone added alcohol, everclear, to their brew just to up their ABV? Isn't that cheating?

Air locks allows pressure to escape. What if we didn't allow pressure to escape? or increased pressure? Pressure Cooking? Very Bad??

I doubt I would have come up with half these questions if I wasn't drinking Leffe just to come close to tasting Revvy's leffe clone. Good grief, I'm dringing beer that I've never heard of, while my first batch is languishing in my closeted swamp beer, just so I can dream about making awesome beer.

I'm still shocked by the vodka. Tasteless, that why we don't use Sailor Jerry rum? The high alcohol content of the vodka prevents infection that tap water would welcome? Even sanitized water would/could eventually become contaminated?

Not to hijack the thread or anything and considering the subject matter, I wonder how many of us are actually somewhat intoxicated when we post. Vodka?

So, if there is a pressure change and a little vodka gets sucked back into your brew? well, ABV just increased? If vodka is sucked back into your brew will that kill/hurt/interfere with the yeasties? So, has anyone added alcohol, everclear, to their brew just to up their ABV? Isn't that cheating?

Air locks allows pressure to escape. What if we didn't allow pressure to escape? or increased pressure? Pressure Cooking? Very Bad??

I doubt I would have come up with half these questions if I wasn't drinking Leffe just to come close to tasting Revvy's leffe clone. Good grief, I'm dringing beer that I've never heard of, while my first batch is languishing in my closeted swamp beer, just so I can dream about making awesome beer.

Just curious, how many of those Leffe's have you had? :)

I just got some Vodka to use in my airlocks as I had one take in some tap water recently. Should be fine - I hope.... Vodka from here on out for me!

:mug:

Yup hes 3 sheets man!

Many people just use plain water or sanitized water with perfect results on the regular. I prefer vodka just because it makes me feel a LITTLE better, for example if I get a little blow off into the airlock, I dont have krausen in water, I have krausen in high alcohol vodka, still safe, anyhow the escaping CO2 creates a little extra shield from contamination. And no, the vodka has no effect on the yeast, the taste, OR the ABV. Its such a small amount in relation to the 5gals of wort. you'd literally have to pour vodka in your beer and well... Dont. If any sucks back in its just a little bit, less than a tea spoon.

If you dont have an airlock on the carboy the pressure from the CO2 escaping would ultimately build to either blow off the cap you put on the carboy, or literally blow up the carboy like a wicked awesome beer bomb.

Did you take 2 consequetive gravity readings over a three day period to determine fermentation was complete BEFORE you racked? There's no reason for any active fermentation in a secondary.

Don't worry Revvy, it was still in Primary when that little fiasco happened. I've only ever racked a Mead to secondary, and it bubbled only slightly before subsiding.

I still advocate using an airlock with secondary, I couldn't imagine myself having peace of mine unless I did. I suppose you could just cap a secondary really..

Thanks everyone, I will use the airlock and I am going to give the vodka a try.

Back