Foam entering the airlock...What do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdp360

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and still fairly new to home brewing.

I'm brewing an American wheat ale and seem to be having a problem with foam from the fermentation entering the airlock. At first I thought that since I had an Iodophor solution in the airlock, it wouldn't matter, but then I read another thread that said to switch the airlock for blow-off type of setup. So I did, but got the same result. Is this just highly active fermentation or is this a sign of something gone wrong? I need some help!

Thanks!

The blow off tube won't prevent the krausen from leaving your fermentor. However, it will give the stuff somewhere to go without making a huge mess. Just make sure the other end of your blow off tube is sitting in a vessel with sanitizer. Use a big enough vessel that it can hold some of the blow off.

It's an active fermentation. Nothing is wrong.

you're fine. if you have a blow off tube it will fill with foam, that's what it's supposed to do.

Back