"Brew Hauler" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk Monkey

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up a brew hauler to help lift carboys in and out of my chest freezer. For someone that has one, is it easy to get on and off the carboy? My concern is that once the carboy was in the freezer, it might be difficult to take it on and off and put it on other carboys.

They are a bit of a PITA but definetly wirth the cost of $$ and hassel. Not only are they great for the reduction of stress on your back but the improvement of the controll you have is fantastic.

If I was going to use them in a chest freezer I would definetly want one per carboy.

I use carboy handles right now to get them in and out of the freezer, but I don't think that is the best way to do it. I am just trying to figure out if I can get away with just buying one or if I need to buy 2 of them (my chest freezer holds 2 carboys).

homebrewer_99 said:
Will milk crates fit in the freezers?:confused:

Thats an interesting idea and I think it might, if I could actually find a milk crate. I used to have some for records and I forgot where I was able to find them.
My concern with using one is that I would have to bend over more, because the handles would be lower (I think).

Drunk Monkey said:
I use carboy handles right now to get them in and out of the freezer, but I don't think that is the best way to do it. I am just trying to figure out if I can get away with just buying one or if I need to buy 2 of them (my chest freezer holds 2 carboys).

Definitely buy two. I only have one, and had to deal with moving it from my 6.5 primary to my 5 gallon secondary during racking today. I managed to do it without too much incident, but it was more of a pain then it needed to be. As for trying to swap them in a freezer, I think that would be quite the hassle.

I'm ordering another one tonight. I also have to order an auto siphon...mine broke today. It was tragic. Just horrible. :( I was simply trying to remove the tubing from the top of the racking cane, and it cracked. I wasn't even pulling that hard...so sad.

Drunk Monkey said:
Thats an interesting idea and I think it might, if I could actually find a milk crate. I used to have some for records and I forgot where I was able to find them.
My concern with using one is that I would have to bend over more, because the handles would be lower (I think).
WalMart....;)

I have a couple of those as well, and they look REALLY easy to make, if you have access to a sewing machine. My SWMBO sews, and offered to help me make up a few more. I priced it out, and they look like a couple bucks to make up, and it would probably take about 10 minutes to sew. That polypropelene webbing is like 15 cents/foot.

Love the hauler, BUT yes there is no way to easily remove it, or place it on a carboy that is deep into a freezer. I just had my 30th bday this weekend and procured about $250 to buy more STUFF... the 5.0 cubic foot freezer and johnson controls temp controller are on my list.

Pol

I picked up a hauler the day before yesterday. When I saw how simple they are, I immediately priced out the necessary materials at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics.

http://www.owfinc.com/

It would cost about $5 to make your own. If you need more than 2 or so, it would be well Worth making. The sewing needed is so simple that anyone could make it with just a few pointers on using the sewing machine.

Back