Job advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
So, I have been in the navy for 6 years and i am on terminal leave right now till September 17th. I have been job hunting and applying and there are some good government defense jobs in my area that i think i have a good shot at getting. Now, i am getting married November 22nd. My fiancee is hell bent on taking a week long honeymoon right after the wedding. How do i tell a potential employer I need a week off when i haven't even been hired? Is taking a week off after starting a new job not so bad? I dont know. All i had to do for the last 6 years was fill out a form and i was golden. Thanks for the advice everyone. My fiancee seems to think employers wont care if i want to take a week off.

I'm certainly no HR guru, but I wouldn't tell the employer you need a week off until you're offered the job... unless it comes up in the interview... you don't want to lie. Tell them once they offer it (but before accepting) and be ready to offer to take it without pay (if they don't sound thrilled about it). Otherwise, I'm sure they'll understand... IT'S YOUR HONEYMOON, for crying out loud. (Congrats, by the way!... on getting out of the Navy and getting married!)

Just make sure you bring it BEFORE you are hired. If you bring it up then it will be like a condition of your hiring and not that big of a deal. If on your first day at the job you say "Oh, and I need this week coming up off" it won't be good and you will probably not get it off. Employers understand you have a real life, explain the situation with the honey moon at the final interview.

I'm certainly no HR guru, but I wouldn't tell the employer you need a week off until you're offered the job... unless it comes up in the interview... you don't want to lie. Tell them once they offer it (but before accepting) and be ready to offer to take it without pay (if they don't sound thrilled about it). Otherwise, I'm sure they'll understand... IT'S YOUR HONEYMOON, for crying out loud. (Congrats, by the way!... on getting out of the Navy and getting married!)

Your new boss is not going to be pleased that you sprung something like needing a week off right after being hired. Likely it will make him or her dislike you if you can even get it off. Employers would much rather you be up front about a situation like this and it is not uncommon to plan out vacations a couple months in advance so most employers understand that a new employee might have prior plans, they just want to know about it.

I happened to run into this same situation in June when I got married. I disclosed in my interview that I was getting married a week after my potential start date and they asked if I would need some time off and I said I would need a week. They didn't have any problem with it. My thinking is if they want you bad enough to hire you, they can wait an additional week for you to get married. Just make it known as soon as possible as to not mislead them. I can't say this will be the case for every employer as I am in a pretty informal field of work, (marine mammal training) but taking a week off 4 days after I started was no problem for them and I picked up right where I left off.

November 22nd is a good day to get married [it happens to be my bday too :D]

I was in the same situation last year. I told them after the job was offered to me - it was part of the negotiation process.

Perhaps you could just arrange to have your start date be when you get back from your honeymoon.

Also you should drink lots of mead.

Thanks all. The consensus is to let them know during the final interview and/or when they offer a position up. Believe me, if i could wait until December before i had to start working that would be awesome, but i stop getting a check from uncle sam on Sept. 17th. This one dream job i just applied for is only 3.2 miles so if i could snag that up asap, it would be awesome.

Back