wrong yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snstriper

Reaction score
I was brewing a dry irish stout yesterday and I pitched the wrong yeast. I was suppose to use safale us-04 and I used safebrew wb-06. Does anybody know the effect it's going to have on my beer?

Oh, my, this should be interesting to see what happens. As I understand it, wb-06 is a Bavarian Wheat Ale yeast, which is a rather flavorful yeast which produces clove and fruit aromas. I have to wonder how that would mix with your typical dry stout wort. I guess the only thing to do is wait and see.

There's no turning back but you can have a very happy accident on your hands or a beer that you have to choke down and move on from.

Some yeasts can do very well when you least expect it though. I'd wait and see. Please do report back, I'm interested in the outcome.

snstriper said:
I was brewing a dry irish stout yesterday and I pitched the wrong yeast. I was suppose to use safale us-04 and I used safebrew wb-06. Does anybody know the effect it's going to have on my beer?

Well, it is no longer an irish stout. You basically made a dark, roasty hefeweizen. It honestly sounds kinda gross to me. Anyways, good luck!

I am Dry, Irish, and yeahfairly Stout!!!! If you need a brave soul to give the final product a test run Send me a 12 pack and I will throw myself on the grenade brother!!!! :tank:

Oh..... and I will gladly repay you on Tuesday (lol)!!!

^ im also curious. I love experimenting with beers and yeast. By the sounds of it, itll be good. let us know!

Happy New Years. Sorry for not updating, was a crazy and busy month. I have to say it came out very good. There is a slight hint of clove. Was a big hit over the holidays.

Back