gravity boost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Im making a cream ale for my first batch and would like to try and boost the gravity a little extra. I know I should probably just make a couple batches before I worry about this sort of thing but I prefer to jump right into the deep end. I know I need to add extra fermentable material for the yeast in order to achieve this, I also want to have as little effect on the taste as possible though. What is the best way to get these results? Thanks in advance.

Well, in general, the thing to do is to add some corn sugar (dextrose) but it will have an effect on the beer. It should be drier and thinner, which might not be bad in a cream ale. If you post the recipe, though, we could give you more specific advice!

Add rice syrup solids, but only a little bit. If you want to really bost it you are going to have to add some more malt extract, and adjust the hop profile of the recipe accordingly.

I'd bet there is already some adjunct in the extract. Probably corn. I would boost the malt extract a bit and maybe add some honey or a little sugar.

If you increase the ABV you should want to change the taste. You need to keep a beer in balance so an higher ABV would generally mean you want more maltiness to counteract the alcohol bite and up the IBUs to balance it all out.

Otherwise a shot of vodka would do the trick.

Back