Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the basic format of all my labels. I just switch out the name and info, and I also change the color of the rusty truck font to coordinate with whatever type of beer it is. I looks a little odd with a white backround, but I actually print it on "kraft" cardboard colored labels.

I don't take full credit for the design though. Another homebrewer on HBT gave me a bit of inspiration as far as the layout goes. I just tweaked it to my own liking.

Maybe it's because I grew up in country where every farm had an old rusty ford pickup sitting around...but I absolutely LOVE this label. The color and design are perfect.

Here's the label for my IPA that's been sitting on bourbon-soaked toasted oak chips.

10_g2za5_1344203030.jpg

Here is my first attempt at a label I did yesterday using the program that is suggested in this thread. I am not a computer guy and it took me like four hours of messin to get this...

greyfoxbreweries.jpg

These are a handful of my recent miminalist labels with the most recent first. There is some great work in this thread. I'm less than a year into this hobby - some great inspiration in here!

Hop Beautiful Labels UNTAPPD LOGO.JPG

DEAD RED IMP LOGO.JPG

THWTD LOGO.JPG

June IPA Logo.JPG

My first label.

This is for the OL3078 label shape from onlinelabels.com.

It was created in Adobe Illustrator. The black line shows the cut size. The color was extended 3/16 inch outside the cut to allow for printer alignment errors. All text and graphics were kept 3/16 inch inside the cut line (safe area) except where the graphic is intended to bleed off the edge of the neck band.

I've decided to hand-print my labels. This is one for an elderflower cream ale that I put together for the cast party of our local Shakespeare production.

7734098552_456aab936c.jpg

eta: and this is my 'default' block print. This version is done with pewter colored ink, basically a shiny dark gray.

7734168604_a0d39579d7.jpg

jlb307 said:
AWWWW DAMMIT!!!!!! Someone beat me to it!!!!!!! I was gonna make mine a mead, but MAN!!!!
Turned out awesome, though!:mug:

Haha thanks, I can send you the PDF and you can change it how you see fit, the honey badger doesn't care!

Lavender_Pepper said:
I've decided to hand-print my labels. This is one for an elderflower cream ale that I put together for the cast party of our local Shakespeare production.

eta: and this is my 'default' block print. This version is done with pewter colored ink, basically a shiny dark gray.

These are great - did you linocut those?

shoreman said:
These are great - did you linocut those?

Sorta. I'd done lino before and remembered slicing open my hand more than the block. So while talking with my local art store clerks, they clued me in on carving your own rubber stamps. I might try lino some time soon though, as I think it'll be easier to get finer details and more precision on a stiffer material. But right now it's pretty fun to play with these.

Lavender_Pepper said:
Sorta. I'd done lino before and remembered slicing open my hand more than the block. So while talking with my local art store clerks, they clued me in on carving your own rubber stamps. I might try lino some time soon though, as I think it'll be easier to get finer details and more precision on a stiffer material. But right now it's pretty fun to play with these.

Cool -also for a low cost you can use recycled styrofoam - http://poppytalk.blogspot.com/2011/11/guest-tutorial-by-ruth-bleakley-this.html - Ruth is a cool local crafter here on the Capw I know.

Here is one I made for my daughters birthday brew and my sons birthday brew as well, although they aren't quite old enough to sample them yet.

PeneloPA.jpg

phinyweizen3.jpg

A lot of the colorful labels look great in image files but don't pass muster when printed and affixed.

This is certainly a valid concern, some colors simply don't reproduce well when printed.

Here is the label I posted above on the bottle (printed on silver adhesive paper).

P1090109.JPG
P1090108.JPG

Back