Spotted seatrout and shrimp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We had some (purchased) gulf shrimp and some fresh (caught) seatrout. I made a marinade of lime juice, habarneros, butter and cilantro for the shrimp, then put them on skewers on the grill. They cooked in about 3 minutes.

We served the fish and shrimp with homemade chilled crabapple wine.

Yum!!!

DSCF6008.jpg

Tonight I'm going to make "redfish on the half shell" with a beer butter sauce. The fishing has been pretty decent, and fresh fish is awesome! :ban:

did you grill the fish too? I hear this past year was an amazing fishing year. Are you in Texas again? If so have fun and welcome.:)

That is an amazing breakfast! I had tuna salad and crackers...

Oh, no that was dinner last night! I'm still drinking my morning coffee.

Bob is cleaning fish right now, and the pelicans are sitting at the base of the fish cleaning station on the edge of the water waiting for their share. He has a few specs and a redfish that he's cleaning.

By the way, we have two extra bedrooms if you and Kris and the kids want to drop by!!!!! :mug:

Are oysters coming in there? I see a small area was opened last week. We're on Matagorda and its still closed.

Oh, no that was dinner last night! I'm still drinking my morning coffee.

Bob is cleaning fish right now, and the pelicans are sitting at the base of the fish cleaning station on the edge of the water waiting for their share. He has a few specs and a redfish that he's cleaning.

By the way, we have two extra bedrooms if you and Kris and the kids want to drop by!!!!! :mug:

Trust me, I would LOVE to come down and hang out for a few days, but it won't happen. Kids have school and activities and Kris is working on a huge project at work.

I'd be happy if you could keep snapping pics of food and wildlife. I could live vicariously through you and Bob!

Are oysters coming in there? I see a small area was opened last week. We're on Matagorda and its still closed.

No, the oysters are all from Louisiana. I heard that they aren't going to open the season here at all, as it would just be open a couple of weeks before it would be closed. That's the rumor at the tackle store, anyway.

What sort of shell do you serve redfish on?
Regards, GF.

It's not a shell, actually! It's one side of the filet that you leave the skin on, and stick it on the grill that way. It curls up on the edges and "holds" the sauce on. Then you lift it up off of the grill, and the skin/scales stay on the grill. It was great.

Trust me, I would LOVE to come down and hang out for a few days, but it won't happen. Kids have school and activities and Kris is working on a huge project at work.

I'd be happy if you could keep snapping pics of food and wildlife. I could live vicariously through you and Bob!

We'll be taking lots more pictures! It's supposed to get cold on Sunday and stay cool for a few days so we'll be doing some indoor things, like going to the aquarium. The fishing has been slow, but we still catch a few everyday.

I always wondered what reds and sea trout taste like. We catch them when I visit relatives in Florida but they don't eat them, they seem to think they aren't any good.

I always wondered what reds and sea trout taste like. We catch them when I visit relatives in Florida but they don't eat them, they seem to think they aren't any good.

They are amazingly good! I prefer the reds over black drum, and sheepshead. The only fish I like as much as redfish is flounder. We've only got one flounder so far.

Tonight we're having sea trout filets with mango salsa.

They are amazingly good! I prefer the reds over black drum, and sheepshead. The only fish I like as much as redfish is flounder. We've only got one flounder so far.

Tonight we're having sea trout filets with mango salsa.

Do they taste like any freshwater fish? We catch and eat a lot of lake trout, perch and bass where we live.

Enjoy your warm weather. We have lost almost all of our snow so far and it's going to be high 30s to low 40s next 2 days as well.

I might not have to shovel the roof off this year!

I don't hate the snow though. Better a few extra inches than a few more degrees on the wrong side of 0!

Here's my dinner tonight:
mango_salsa.jpg

Sea trout (speckled trout), mango salsa with habanero, crabapple wine, and a big romaine salad.

Nyer, they don't taste like anything else exactly, but perch might be a good comparison.

As a florida boy who was transplanted in MN, I miss some of the fish from home. Dont get me wrong, I love walleye and pike, but c'mon I could really use a big grouper fillet.

Tis interesting... we enjoyed mullett sandwiches in Florida restaurants. Here on the Texas gulf where I'm at mullett is strictly bait. While grouper and red snapper are wonderful, to my taste crappie caught through the ice can't be beat. Variety is fun... over the past few weeks on the Texas gulf we've had flounder, sea trout, squid, shared a bushel of blue crabs and smoked some mackerel. Normally we'd have had oysters and clams as well, but not this year. Yooper's trout looks great, and next year I'm definitely going to make some crab apple wine.

Man am I getting fishing fever now.....and hungry. Love salt water fishing, but only get to do it when on vacation.

We're eating fish everyday, either for dinner or for lunch. Today Bob did a simple fish fry with the sea trout. For dinner tonight, we're having venison. I'm getting a hankering for red meat after all of this fish!

Here's my dinner tonight:
View attachment 46379

Sea trout (speckled trout), mango salsa with habanero, crabapple wine, and a big romaine salad.

Between this and the margaritas and the 75* weather I'm starting to turn a bit green with envy!!

One of my favorite white fish preparations is "en papillote" with lemon, butter, garlic, shallots and a few herbs... but I'm going to have to try it with the mango habanero salsa.

Between this and the margaritas and the 75* weather I'm starting to turn a bit green with envy!!

One of my favorite white fish preparations is "en papillote" with lemon, butter, garlic, shallots and a few herbs... but I'm going to have to try it with the mango habanero salsa.

If it makes you feel better, it's cool and rainy today. :D

I think redfish "en papillote" sounds great. I'll grab some shallots today when I go to the store after church. Bob caught a redfish yesterday.

I didn't take a picture of the last redfish we caught (forgot) but here is what a "speckled trout" or "spotted sea trout" looks like (this is from today):

DSCN0033.jpg

I was going to make grilled fish with a tequila/lime/habanero sauce, but we got invited over to a neighbor's for chicken fried steak and fried okra. We can't turn that down!

Last night I did the tequila/lime/habanero marinade and sauce. Here's the basic recipe:

Juice of two large limes
two habaneros, seeded
two cloves of garlic
About 4 ounces of tequila
chopped cilantro
Tiny shot of triple sec
pinch of sea salt

Pureed in a blender then the fish fillets were placed in the blender.

After the fillets went on a hot grill, I boiled the marinade to thicken it and use as a sauce.

This was excellent! But I have to admit it was pretty hot. It tasted great, but Bob mentioned that I looked like I was blushing- even my ears got warm! Since I love hot spicy food, I thought it was great and Bob gave it an A+. But it might have killed a lesser mortal.

sounds amazing!!! But to be clear, the fillets were not blended right? Just placed in the blender. How long did you marinate? I add cilantro to just about anything, I bet it tasted really fresh and bright.

sounds amazing!!! But to be clear, the fillets were not blended right? Just placed in the blender. How long did you marinate? I add cilantro to just about anything, I bet it tasted really fresh and bright.

Right- the filets were left whole. I marinaded it for most of the day, and then drained it off and boiled the marinade while the fish was on the grill.

No more fishing pictures unless you are standing on ice. It's 35 degrees and raining in NY and I'm starting to get real jealous ;)

So jealous. We've had a pretty mild winter to say the least, so far, but I'd LOVE to be down there fishing and kayaking!

Maybe I'll buy a fish from the store and marinade it and pretend I'm in Texas.

My neighbors parents live in the Galveston area, they visit a couple times a year. This always triggers a neighborhood driveway fish fry. I had never had spotted trout until a couple of years ago, it is now at the top of my list of salt water fair.

We're having a small get-together tonight. A couple of neighbors and a friend of theirs and Bob's brother (from Phoenix) are coming over. It's supposed to be really rainy for the next 24 hours, so the weather will suck, but the neighbor already brought over his big fish frying wok with a propane tank and a jug of peanut oil.

We're having fried fish, grilled shrimp, grilled vension, and all the sides. :rockin:

I made cole slaw, Texas beans, mango salsa, potato salad, blueberry cobbler, and salsa verde. I've turned into a cooking fanatic. And I like it!

It's been a while since I've put more thoughts here about the fish. Yesterday I broiled flounder and black drum that Bob caught- I made a lime garlic marinade. It was really great.

But now I have to learn how to cook these:
blue_crab.JPG

I also have to figure out how to eat them! I've never had a whole crab in my life. We also got a great big stone crab, and I knew to remove the right claw and throw him back so we did that. I think stone crab claw is as good as lobster tail, so that was pretty exciting!

Boil water. Bay seasoning is optional, but I like it. Add crabs. Leave for 12 minutes after water returns to a boil. Cool just enough to be able to handle them. Break off claws and crack enough to break open without crushing the flesh inside (nutcracker or tap with a beer bottle.) I usually bend the pointed small claw back to break and pull it out.. you'll see why. Bodies are more work. Peel back the arrow=shaped thingies on the underside (they also tell you if the crab is male or female). Then with one hand for the top and one for the bottom separate as if you were splitting an orange. You'll have a top shell and bottom shell. Throw the top away. White lumps of meat are everyplace a leg was attached. Most of the other stuff is lungs and gunk, although the green stuff (called tamale) is good. Getting all the meat is tedious. My wife uses a nutpick. Delicious.

Boil water. Bay seasoning is optional, but I like it. Add crabs. Leave for 12 minutes after water returns to a boil. Cool just enough to be able to handle them. Break off claws and crack enough to break open without crushing the flesh inside (nutcracker or tap with a beer bottle.) I usually bend the pointed small claw back to break and pull it out.. you'll see why. Bodies are more work. Peel back the arrow=shaped thingies on the underside (they also tell you if the crab is male or female). Then with one hand for the top and one for the bottom separate as if you were splitting an orange. You'll have a top shell and bottom shell. Throw the top away. White lumps of meat are everyplace a leg was attached. Most of the other stuff is lungs and gunk, although the green stuff (called tamale) is good. Getting all the meat is tedious. My wife uses a nutpick. Delicious.

Thanks for the tip!!! I'll definitely do that.

Maybe next year we can get together for beer/oysters/crab/shrimp. You left too soon this year!

Back