I need a new brew kettle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjdj

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a new brew kettle after many batches of battling the 20qt I got when I first started brewing. It's like I have "learned" to outgrow it. I try to get as much water in the pot to boil, but always end up with a near overflow. Control of the heat is very critical when it is that full. So my question is, if I am going to consider a brew kettle what one should I get? I am making only five gallon batches at a time, but I may go into 10 gallon batches so I can keg half and bottle the other half. Money isn't really an object, so please advise away.

Thanks in advance!

cjdj said:
I am looking into getting a new brew kettle after many batches of battling the 20qt I got when I first started brewing. It's like I have "learned" to outgrow it. I try to get as much water in the pot to boil, but always end up with a near overflow. Control of the heat is very critical when it is that full. So my question is, if I am going to consider a brew kettle what one should I get? I am making only five gallon batches at a time, but I may go into 10 gallon batches so I can keg half and bottle the other half. Money isn't really an object, so please advise away.

Thanks in advance!

Are you getting heat from a stove top or a propane burner or...?

Yeah good point. I am using a propane burner. I couldn't imagine doing that stuff on my stove, let alone I hear horror stories of people brewing on their flat top stove and they end up cracking from weight issues.

cjdj said:
Yeah good point. I am using a propane burner. I couldn't imagine doing that stuff on my stove, let alone I hear horror stories of people brewing on their flat top stove and they end up cracking from weight issues.

While there might be a lot of different opinions out there, I've enjoyed a converted keg (keggle) setup. At 15.5 gallon capacity, I can do either 5 or 10 gallons batches, they're super tough, easy to clean...love em! You can customize them as much as you want too.

I went with a 15G kettle.. a 15G stainless kettle with a spigot, dip tube, thermometer, and sight glass is what I use. Check to make sure the thermometer is going to be low enough for 5G batches.

For the price, you can't really beat a converted Keggle. It only costs $50 for the shell plus another $50 or so for add-ons (valves, sight-glass, etc.)

The Blichmanns are pretty but at $369 for a 15 gallon pot, they aren't exactly easy on the wallet.

Back