O2 aeration + fermentation over flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiemo

Reaction score
I just got an O2 setup for aerating my wort (disposable tanks) and i plan on using for my next brew (it will be a dme+hop kind of kit) . I have never had a overflow problem before but after reading about improved aeration and aggressive fermentation i am concerned about over flow. my question is with my ale pale, the hole is to small for a large over flow tube. should put in a small overflow tube, or will there be enough head space in the pale to use a standard air lock?
Thanks

Well, it depends upon how big your batch is, how large your ale pail is, what yeast strain being used and the worts original gravity.

Size: 5.0 - 5.5 gallon batches in my 7.5 gallon bucket have worked just fine for me.

Yeast: Some strains are known for hardcore fermentation with huge krausens and others hardly make krausen. Manufacturer's websites will have descriptions of each strain.

Gravity: A strong beer (especially with a hard-fermenting yeast strain) will typically have a higher krausen.

Oxygen: I don't know so much if it will make fermentation appear more active but I believe it will speed up the first stage of their life-cycle (reproduction, an aerobic process.)

If you're worried (or paranoid ;)) you can attach a blow-off tube with a 3-piece airlock and a 3/8" ID racking hose. Example:
images

(not my pic)

I hope that helped :mug:

Its a 6 gal ale pale. i am not sure what brew i am going to make next but i like the idea of the blow off tube attached to the airlock. i will use that idea to be safe and then just reassemble the air lock if i don"t need the blow off tube.
Thanks

It's got more to do with the strain than anything.

I have WLP001/WY1056 all figured out. Recently I have been experimenting with the anchor ale strain WLP051/WY1272.

This thing is just more prone to a ton of krausen and I learned that the hard way. I say play it safe and use a blowoff until the krausen drops and then slap on an airlock.

Back