Sam Adams Long Shot..... Whatcha got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
I assume we have some folks here entering the longshot comp, so what is everyone entering?

I've got "black love" a black wit with rose hips i'll be entering. lets hear yours.

Oh yeah, good luck! Your gonna need it:D

I did a bergamot-ginger wit, but it turned out way too heavy on the bergamot so I'm not going to enter it. I'm hoping it mellows with a few months of aging.

When's the deadline? Inevitably I blow the timing, or end up not having 3 bottles of what I want to enter.
I looked at the rules and you need to basically have 7 bottles (a few to enter and a few to save for later analysis if you win).

I wanted to enter my Vienna bock, but I only got 3 bottles before the keg died. :-/

I looked at the rules and you need to basically have 7 bottles (a few to enter and a few to save for later analysis if you win).

I wanted to enter my Vienna bock, but I only got 3 bottles before the keg died. :-/

Oh snap...I totally skipped over the part of needing to hold on to 3 extra bottles. EEK...I better bottle some more and hope I still have enough. Not that I plan on actually progressing in the competition.

Just got my email notification from Sam Adams that my entry was received safe and sound.

I believe the deadline to get beer in is the 28th of May for those of you still wondering. Also this is for Category 23 beer.

Enter three, rebrew, problem solved.

I was going to do a Thai wit with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and ginger, but my local asian market was out of all three.... so I tried to do a blood orange wit, but overdosed on the coriander. Tastes like crap, so I guess I'll have to try again next year...

Just my opinion, but I’d be pretty shocked if one of the next three wasn’t a Cascadian Dark Ale. There has been a lot of hype lately and I’d bet the odds that, given they get a well represented bottle, SA would add it to the lineup.

I’m not saying I’ve got it figured out but I’d be willing to brew something simply for the sake of wining and recognition rather than something I really enjoy.

Just my opinion, but I’d be pretty shocked if one of the next three wasn’t a Cascadian Dark Ale. There has been a lot of hype lately and I’d bet the odds that, ........

This is an interesting point. I'm not near good enough to enter, but I'd guess that these 'high-end' contests receive hundreds of awesome brews.

A brewer who is really serious about a competition like this one should have his finger to the winds of micro-brewing style trends and submit a brew that not only is awesome but is also hip and froody. Read the tea leaves of trendiness (which with a required lead time could be just a lucky guess in the end) and submit THAT! :mug:

Recently homebrewers have won with old ale, barleywine, IIPA and traditional bock. Not exactly recent craft brewing trends. The beer is not picked based on what SA wants in the six pack. BJCP judges pick the finalist and the winner is a people's choice type thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tasty win again with his Janet's Brown. Imperial Brown/Brown IPA/India Brown Ale is a style that deserves to be a craft trend. It is interesting, distinctly different than IPA and has even been around since the 80s thought it never really caught on.

I'm entering three:

A Red Wine Ale

A Hoppy, Oak-Aged Saison

And an over-hopped Roggenbier that's been freeze-concentrated like an Eisbock

Chocolate/Cherry Stout: Received and Valid.
Red/Green Chili Ale: Received and Valid.

Good luck to everyone. Will we get score sheets? I hope they are gentle.

1. Against the Wall, Weizenbock
2. Don't Call Me Honey, Blonde
are leaving today via UPS Red, hope they arrive ok

I entered a Maple Steam Beer. Still waiting for them to confirm receipt of my entry, which got to them on the 17th according to UPS. I sent an email to SA about it but haven't heard back yet.

Getting nervous now.

You're not alone. They do say give 1 week for processing. I'm sure they are getting all the deliveries at once.

That's my hope -- it's just them being slow entering it into the system as opposed to them losing my entry somewhere in the bowels of SA. I have enough bottles left to send another entry if needed, but time is running out.

Quick question ... my "yeast samples" were delivered via UPS yesterday. I said to delivery the packages to Sam Adams Brewery at 30 Germania St., Boston MA (as it was given to me by Sam Adams), but my tracking number said it was delivered to Sam Adams Brewery at Jamaica Plain, MA. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Quick question ... my "yeast samples" were delivered via UPS yesterday. I said to delivery the packages to Sam Adams Brewery at 30 Germania St., Boston MA (as it was given to me by Sam Adams), but my tracking number said it was delivered to Sam Adams Brewery at Jamaica Plain, MA. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Jamaica Plain is a neighborhood in Boston, and the SA Brewery is in that area, so it's likely just the substation the package went through. No worries.

OK, now I'm getting worried/pissed; my LongShot account now says I have no entries. It changed today... before it showed my entry number and status as "pending."

Do people who have had their entries received still see account information for them?

I've got the same no entry info when I log in and check too. Maybe a glitch in the system?

I tried adding a new entry (thinking I could get another there in time if needed) and it threw up a database error message. So, maybe they're doing some behind-the-scenes work that's making nothing show up right now, and which explains why the db wasn't updated earlier.

At least I hope that's what it is!

Haha, so UPS would technically tell you that you can't ship beer through their service - however, once a year, all these "yeast samples" pour in to Sam Adams from a thousand different residential addresses. That's kinda funny to me. Don't they even have TV commercials for this competition?

Haha, so UPS would technically tell you that you can't ship beer through their service - however, once a year, all these "yeast samples" pour in to Sam Adams from a thousand different residential addresses. That's kinda funny to me. Don't they even have TV commercials for this competition?

Haha, yeah. It depends, though. It isn't that UPS can't ship beer. But, sometimes they just won't, because you know, clearly people would send homebrews cross country to get minors wasted or whatever. They ask questions less if it's going to a commercial address.

Even funnier is the fact that SA is in MA, one of the more a$$ backwards states for shipping alcohol too, for wine at least. There's an aggregate volume limit, but it's a consumer limit, not a producer limit. So though I may be able to sell and ship you wine, if my package put you over the limit because you've ordered 10 times from someone else I'm the one that's in trouble. But I have no way of knowing you ordered 10 times from someone else. On top of that UPS and FedEx refuse to deliver to the state.

Still nothing.

Thanks for checking. I asked because the ability to add a new entry was back online, so I was thinking maybe they deleted my entry because they lost my box or something and didn't want to admit it.

So, I'm glad to know that I'm at least in good company not having an entry show up in their system! :D

All of my entries are missing too. I'm sure it's a simple glitch. A few weeks ago my account was missing for 24 hours or so and eventually it all came back online.

If you can dig up the confirmation e-mails, they should have your entries numbers and everything, should there actually be an issue.

Back